Texas Hunting Forum

Montana upland trip

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 03:14 AM

Just got back from my first upland hunting trip to Montana. Have to say I wish we could have stayed longer. Left on 8/29 and rolled into Miles City 8/31. Hunted that area 4 days then drove to Scobey. Hunted there 5 days and made the 3 day drive home. Found a lot more birds in Scobey than Miles City area. Mornings were in the low 50’s then it warmed up by mid day. My 3 dogs all got run every morning. Wife and I got plenty of walking in. We are planning on going back next year.
Had a couple other THFers let us tag along the first morning in Scobey and give some tips.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 03:30 AM

What did you kill up there?

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 03:51 AM

Sharpies, the Huns were elusive. Always on private property.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 11:49 AM

Nice! Glad you got to go!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 11:56 AM

What a great trip! And beautiful pups. up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 12:26 PM

I got better dog work on the Hungarian birds but just like you they were scarce.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 12:30 PM

Very cool. Good looking pooches
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 04:06 PM

looks like fun
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 04:36 PM

cheers
Posted By: Chet

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 05:42 PM

Trip I always wanted to make. Sounds like a great trip for you and the dogs.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 05:52 PM

Un-posted pastures. I flew in with a friend. We flew home. The group from Kansas who drove road hunted their way home. The birds would flush when they drove by. They put their dogs out and had goof legal shooting over the second flush.

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 06:49 PM

Downloaded the OnX app, I don’t know how you could find all the different parcels of land available to hunt without it. Only had one issue getting asked to leave state land by a sheep guy. Said he’d had issues with dogs before. Some of the state parcels were landlocked, have to figure that issue out still.
Met quite a few bird hunters at the motel. One group of 4 from South Carolina showed up with 17 dogs.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/14/21 07:54 PM

Looks like a great time. I would like to make that kind of trip one day soon.

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 12:30 AM

The sharpies flushed wild before I got there, out of shotgun range, lots of times.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 02:27 AM

I went to MT this year and last year. Felt bird numbers were up this year over last year. Found more coveys and more birds per covey. Glad to hear you had a good trip. I have the same chain gang - love that thing!!
Posted By: RayB

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 02:59 PM

We were told to go above Hwy 2 for a better chance at Huns. We were ther mostly for pheasants and did well. The state publishes a atlas book with all the public access land, next year buy your license on line and the book will be sent in the mail just by asking.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 03:06 PM

Great trip, cannot wait to move there. up

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RayB
We were told to go above Hwy 2 for a better chance at Huns. We were ther mostly for pheasants and did well. The state publishes a atlas book with all the public access land, next year buy your license on line and the book will be sent in the mail just by asking.

I had both books that were available Ray, still needed OnX to get more detailed maps. And it showed all the BLM land also, which wasn’t included with the books.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 10:01 PM

OnX is a must out west.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/15/21 11:43 PM

Huns were clearly up and do hold better for dogs. However best chances are on private land. Scobey is small enough--300 families control almost all the private land in the county--you can use onx to locate the land owners and sometimes get permission. All the hoppers probably saved the season--hard on the farmers tho. Our landlord was insurance farming this year. He went from 40 bushels of wheat in good years to 4 thanks to grasshopers. Glad you had a good time. CU in October.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/17/21 12:06 AM

Lucky you. Nice. Forrest
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/17/21 12:59 PM

Excellent trip!!!!

Beautiful Country and great looking non-chessies grin
Posted By: tigger

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/17/21 03:59 PM

Glad you had a great trip. Holler when you have time.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Montana upland trip - 09/17/21 04:11 PM

Beautiful country!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Montana upland trip - 11/03/21 08:39 PM

that is greatness in all respects
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum