Texas Hunting Forum

Edwards Plateau quail?

Posted By: ErnestTBass

Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:03 PM

Seen a few quail recently along Highway 41 between Kerrville and Rocksprings. Been hearing a lot of them in the evenings. Definitely more activity than normal (normal is next to none). Blip or a trend? Anyone have any other observations or hearing anything?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:04 PM

Blip
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:07 PM

my place is about 8 miles north of Garven Store and all spring i herd quite a few quail.

I only saw one covey of about 5 birds but that shocked me. I was very suprised to hear any birds at all, but in May and June hardly 5 min went by without one sounding off.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
my place is about 8 miles north of Garven Store and all spring i herd quite a few quail.

I only saw one covey of about 5 birds but that shocked me. I was very surprised to hear any birds at all, but in May and June hardly 5 min went by without one sounding off.

Been hearing them in the evening all spring and summer. Seen 2 coveys (well, hunting buddies saw 1, and I saw 1). Also seen a few singles. Could've knocked me over with a feather each time.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:11 PM

A little good news.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 04:44 PM

I've heard one Bob, call a couple successive times, exactly once each year in the spring, both years I've owned this place. I think I have Ninja quail, if there are any, on account of all the fox and other varmints here.

Now, my real estate agent said he heard them constantly when he was initially showing me the place. laugh

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/09/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I've heard one Bob, call a couple successive times, exactly once each year in the spring, both years I've owned this place. I think I have Ninja quail, if there are any, on account of all the fox and other varmints here.

Now, my real estate agent said he heard them constantly when he was initially showing me the place. laugh

You get the good stuff that comes out of Menard you will see and hear all kinds of things....

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/18/21 01:37 AM

Saw 3 bobwhites in far eastern Edwards county on Saturday
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/18/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

You get the good stuff that comes out of Menard you will see and hear all kinds of things....

his ears are closer to the ground.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Edwards Plateau quail? - 08/18/21 03:09 PM

I hate when I get my hopes up, by hearing them call during late summer. By the time the season rolls around, I stop hearing them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum