Texas Hunting Forum

Wild quail hunts

Posted By: 2flyfish4

Wild quail hunts - 08/03/21 11:21 PM

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced wild quail hunt. I dont mind spending $500-$600 per gun for the hunt. Seems most places want to charge double to triple that per day/gun.

Any recommendations?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/04/21 12:02 AM

In Texas or anywhere ?
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/04/21 12:47 AM

Prefer in texas, but open to new mexico and oklahoma
Posted By: booskay

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/04/21 02:20 AM

I can't imagine you could get a hunt that cheap. ( that has quail) ------------ After 3 or 4 weeks when 90% of the birds are shot out, then maybe. Your best bet is to go for pen raised birds.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/05/21 03:04 AM

Drive to Kansas with a buddy spilt a motel and hunt public for 2 to 3 days. Should cost you under 600 for the whole trip

250 gas 150 motel 100 license 100 for food and drinks
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/05/21 12:56 PM

I was going to say the same as Booksay, for that price and wanting wild you just won’t get it. Pen raised, we can get you several names
Posted By: Kelulu

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/09/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Aggieduck
Drive to Kansas with a buddy spilt a motel and hunt public for 2 to 3 days. Should cost you under 600 for the whole trip

250 gas 150 motel 100 license 100 for food and drinks

This! Feel free to substitute Kansas with any of the following:

New Mexico
Colorado
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Arizona.

All have quail on public lands that are reasonably accessible.
Posted By: Zackthefisherman

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/13/21 02:37 AM

I hunted two years in a row with Rush Creek outfitters in Dalhart. Both years were bad for quail all over the state, but we still got into a decent amount of birds. It was about 90% Blues to Bobs and we shot Pheasants both trips. The owner Danny was a great guy and worked hard to get us on birds. I would hunt with them again.

http://rushcreekguideservices.com/species/quail/

Like others I would definitely consider a diy public land state. I hunted Arizona with my brother last year and had a really great time. I would like to make it an annual trip.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/13/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zackthefisherman
I hunted two years in a row with Rush Creek outfitters in Dalhart. Both years were bad for quail all over the state, but we still got into a decent amount of birds. It was about 90% Blues to Bobs and we shot Pheasants both trips. The owner Danny was a great guy and worked hard to get us on birds. I would hunt with them again.

http://rushcreekguideservices.com/species/quail/

Like others I would definitely consider a diy public land state. I hunted Arizona with my brother last year and had a really great time. I would like to make it an annual trip.

That’s a smokin deal!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/15/21 04:34 PM

We have found covies in Kansas, the last few times we've been up there. Not a lot, but some.
Same in the Panhandle.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/22/21 04:27 PM

Good grief!

Is it really that high?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Wild quail hunts - 08/22/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
Good grief!

Is it really that high?

Try figuring the expenses for a full string of finished dogs, vehicle for hauling dogs and clients, plus land lease. It’s not a cheap hobby.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum