Texas Hunting Forum

Upland vest

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Upland vest - 06/11/21 09:27 PM

Been wanting to order a WingWorks upland vest, but they have been closed for a long time. Any recommendations on a blaze vest, want to carry water containers, not the bladder style. Will be using on public land hunt out west.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Upland vest - 06/11/21 09:57 PM

Try Dunns Gundog.

https://shopdunns.com/product-category/hunting/dog-training-supplies/
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Upland vest - 06/12/21 01:23 AM

I know some bird hunters that like the quilomene Q5. I’ve never wore one so I can’t give any first hand feedback.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Upland vest - 06/12/21 03:41 AM

I don't wear anything except the vests that are open like suspenders. When it is hot the vest can be miserable. I got one like this one a couple of years ago.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-upland-pro-strap-vest

Re: Upland vest - 06/12/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I know some bird hunters that like the quilomene Q5. I’ve never wore one so I can’t give any first hand feedback.

Thanks Smokey. Office in Richmond, TX. They are a neighbor of Bill’s.
Posted By: Kelulu

Re: Upland vest - 06/12/21 06:25 PM

I love my Wingman from Pyke Gear. Light, durable and engineered to be simple and effective.

Pyke Gear
Posted By: blanked

Re: Upland vest - 06/14/21 12:55 AM

Wingworks is designed for all day hunts and carry max water. I carry up to 164 oz in mine. Its overkill vest for short 2 hour hunts. Depending what your after
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: Upland vest - 06/16/21 04:48 PM

I hunt primarily birds in south texas and due to the warmer weather & that I'm constantly walking, I just wear a lightweight long sleeved shooting shirt with the upper half in hunter orange and a belt with 2 shell pouches and a game bag in the rear. No vest.
Posted By: rioman42

Re: Upland vest - 06/16/21 06:05 PM

might not be texas friendly because of the heat down there but STONE CREEK makes a great vest that will last a very long time.
their chaps are top notch as well
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Upland vest - 06/18/21 03:56 AM

I have an older Quilomene San Carlos prior to them being sold to Q5. My wife has the same San Carlos vest but made by Q5. The San Carlos is a strap vest that has worked for us on all types of conditions and weather. The San Carlos is basically a scaled down Quilomene Upland vest and doesn’t have the storage pouch on the back. In warm weather, the San Carlos is cooler.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Upland vest - 06/20/21 02:45 AM

If I didn't have a vest that works well for me (Orvis upland sling pack vest) I would buy a final rise.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Upland vest - 08/02/21 02:52 AM

I have a Primos that I love, but I think they're out of business or not making vests anymore.

Finding something lightweight, durable, and functional is very hard

Re: Upland vest - 08/03/21 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I order a Q5 centerfire vest, and a Q5 Women’s upland vest for the wife. The women’s vest is a Rimfire model w/narrower straps.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Upland vest - 08/03/21 11:03 PM

I make my own vests . That is the vest my wife wears. I don't wear one,that is why i got a wife. She needs to work on her retreving skills, but she will get better. I helped her out when i went to .410 as the shells are lighter. I will do anything to keep her HAPPY !!!!!

Re: Upland vest - 08/04/21 04:09 AM

Wife goes, but doesn’t shoot. I’ve got dogs for retrieving, she’ll be carrying extra water for the dogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum