Texas Hunting Forum

Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/09/21 01:57 PM

In the mid-1980s, I parked at the old Katy Golf Course in Denison and grabbed my clubs for a round of nine holes with a friend.

After grabbing the bag of irons and woods, I headed for the tee box. As I did, I reached back and slammed the door of my vehicle.

And much to my surprise, that’s when a small covey of quail decided to burst from the nearby cover, giving me a jolt of adrenaline as I excitedly watched the birds whir away.

Nearly 20 years later, I revisited the same spot. Except this time, the old golf course had been converted into soccer and football practice fields.

https://www.heralddemocrat.com/stor...ver-look-public-upland-lands/7129935002/

Good luck turning the demise around before it to late.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/09/21 04:15 PM

I ran my first pointer where the Texas Cowboys stadium now stands. The landowner at that time was named Harrington.

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/09/21 07:25 PM

This picture was taken across the road from my house. On wild bobwhite quail. Lucky me. I had just gotten my first Garmin.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael Wilson

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/10/21 12:04 AM

We have a started a quail forever chapter in Hunt. Anyone interested message me for more and information.

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/10/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Wilson
We have a started a quail forever chapter in Hunt. Anyone interested message me for more and information.

I still remember when Quail Unlimited shut down. Fingers crossed for Quail Forever.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/10/21 02:40 PM

William is a super good guy. We need to get the word out so people can learn about and hopefully enroll in the program.

Re: Lynn Burkhead — TPWD, Quail Forever look for public upland hunting lands - 04/10/21 03:44 PM

I ran two bird dogs at the first Quail Forever trial on a plantation in Georgia.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum