Texas Hunting Forum

First Arizona Quail Hunt

Posted By: danceswithquail

First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/08/21 11:28 PM

Made first trip to Arizona, hunted lots of different parts of the state, from central to right against the Mexican border. Got a good mix of Mearns, Gambels and scalies. It is a really strong desert bird crop this year and the Mearns were down, so we booked an outfitter for the day we hunted Mearns and focused on desert quail the other days. The first day when we hunted further north, really cool to be chasing gambels in seven varieties of cactus in 3 to 5 inches of snow (it didn't keep the desert birds from running at all). All birds taken on public land (ONX is awesome by the way). We had a bunch of young dogs, some that didn't hold well and some that don't honor so great, but had some light bulbs go off as well so its all good.
Mearns were very jumpy and if you pushed them out in the open, they acted more like scalies than bobwhites, leaving before you got there or jumping up 45 to 50 yards out. On the other hand, if you could find blues in the clump grass they have in southern AZ, they held really well. Scenery in far southern AZ made for a pretty incredible setting. Son drove down to hunt with us from Denver, so made trip that much more special. Took my old arse about four days to recover, some tough up and down and at 5,500ft to boot. Pics below with a short video to follow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/08/21 11:29 PM

Here is the video. If you have a nice, newer monitor, click the HD gear at the bottom and switch it to 1440 resolution to be able to see the birds better etc.

https://youtu.be/XBzzvAsdlDI&vq=hd1080
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 12:51 AM

Looks like it was worth the drive.
Posted By: blanked

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 02:26 AM

Looks like you were near Patagonia
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 03:54 AM

Beautiful
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 04:01 AM

That's awesome. Glad you got to share it with your son. up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 04:25 AM

Thanks for posting! Looks like a great time.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 10:28 AM

Nice trip!
Posted By: Somebeach

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 03:41 PM

That's awesome. I have hunted down there many times but haven't been in the last five years. Love the blue on the mearns beak and their talons are insane for such a little bird.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 04:53 PM

Great pics!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 05:22 PM

I'll just leave this right here.

[Linked Image]

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/09/21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Somebeach
That's awesome. I have hunted down there many times but haven't been in the last five years. Love the blue on the mearns beak and their talons are insane for such a little bird.

I am getting a mature male mounted. It is crazy how deep the mearns dig for tubers. I had read about them, but when the dogs point a fresh dig area and you see it in person, it is crazy a quail can do that. Pic below doesn't do the talons justice

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Somebeach

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/10/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by danceswithquail
Originally Posted by Somebeach

I am getting a mature male mounted. It is crazy how deep the mearns dig for tubers. I had read about them, but when the dogs point a fresh dig area and you see it in person, it is crazy a quail can do that. Pic below doesn't do the talons justice

[Linked Image]

Nice! I had a male and female mounted on a piece of oak tree I brought back one trip specifically for that purpose.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/10/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Looks like it was worth the drive.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/12/21 04:28 AM

up
Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: First Arizona Quail Hunt - 02/12/21 11:58 AM

Is that the Lunarita guys? We hunt with them in NM every year. Good guys and great dogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum