Texas Hunting Forum

Best Upland Boots

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Best Upland Boots - 02/03/21 07:37 PM

I’m looking at Thorogood 1957 8” boot. Any other suggestions for a good upland hunting boot?

Also, do you recommend a 6” or 8” boot? pros and cons?
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/03/21 07:51 PM

My upland boots from Cabelas with the BOA system are the best ones I've ever had, both from a comfort and wear perspective (although I may not be as hard on boots as I was when I could walk a lot more miles). Too bad they don't make them any more.

Meindl is my next choice, but they are going through some changes right now, and their current boot, although on sale, is made in Vietnam instead of Germany so I am a little hesitant.

I like a little higher boot - keeps the stuff out better, although if the walking is easy I prefer the shorter ones, as I think there is less leg fatigue, at least in my case.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/03/21 08:23 PM

If there's a better boot than Russell South 40 I want some. My pair is at least 25 years old. Quit keeping me dry after 15 but so tough and comfortable in the field I live with it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/03/21 10:31 PM

I use Fishon Kangaroo, with a Gore-Tex lining. There are times when they are not enough, that's when I go to rubber knee boots.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/04/21 01:00 AM

Russell prickly pear.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/04/21 01:11 AM

I’m hanwag fan across the board
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/04/21 01:13 AM

Down in deep south Texas I wear a pair of Red Wing "Ice Cutter" 6" boot on days when it gets cool. Normally I'd wear a pair of red Wing Heritage 6" classic mocs. . For days when it gets wet or when stalking the edges of resacas I wear my 18" Lacrosse Burly classic's.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/04/21 09:39 PM

I've had Redwings 20 years ago, Danner 15 years ago - passed on the Danner Sharptails (too much padding in the tongue).

For hunting boots - I want uninsulated, as much leather as I can get to battle prickly pear and have to have Goretex. Other waterproof membranes or treatment just don't seem to match up.

I just broke in a new pair last week chasing mearns and gambel quail in NM - loved them!!

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-danner-pronghorn-8-boots/98397-41340.html
Posted By: Rche

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/05/21 02:39 PM

These 30+ year old friends are HH Brown's...8" All leather uppers, rubber soles, with light insulation and padded tops.

These have been hunting in 5 different countries, in almost every field type, in every type of weather, for every upland season over 3 decades - they still work just like their first hunt !

They get a professional cleaning and polishing after every season...I forgot what they cost...but they have been worth every penny.

Attached picture HH Brown Boots.jpg
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/06/21 01:46 AM

I have the 1957 boots you are considering. I have not been impressed so far. The tongue really bunches up, it is almost like they made it too big. i really wanted the good sole and a Made in the USA boot. My next pair will be the Danner Grouse.

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/06/21 12:21 PM

Almost anything worked for me after I started hunting from a UTV.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/06/21 02:59 PM

I've had Browning and Irish Setter kangaroo and really like how light they are. They held up well too. I think Irish Setter actually made the Browning boots.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/06/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I've had Browning and Irish Setter kangaroo and really like how light they are. They held up well too. I think Irish Setter actually made the Browning boots.

Nearly all I ever wore back in my walking days.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/07/21 11:23 PM

I wore thru two soles on Russell South Forties utilizing them and leggings, or snake proof gaiters...But the most comfort I found was in
Danner Laceup snake boots...Cradled my feet like nothing else.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/08/21 06:40 PM

Everyones feet is different so you should be looking at a backpacking boot. There designed to give support with 50 pounds of gear. Not to flex too much when you walk on top of rocks. I have a narrow foot so zamberlain fits me best. Stay away from upland boots
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/09/21 07:15 PM

Kinda went with Blanked on this one this morning. Have a pair of Danner's I love but are fabric and are not waterproof. Found some Columbia WP hikers this morning at the outlet and they are comfortable right off the shelf. I had tried on some Irish Setter WIngshooters and they were not comfortable at all and would have had a massive break in. Here is what I bought and they are nice looking too.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-gun...now&dwvar_1880811_variationColor=286

Great price too. My 2 cents.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/10/21 12:49 PM

I switched to Lowa Renegades after three different pairs of Danner's started leaking on me and falling apart after a season and a half. Just as comfortable but better ankle support and a heckuva lot more comfortable. Lose an inch on height, but I have some Kenntrak gaiters that I wear anyway
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/10/21 02:51 PM

Can’t seem to find a good hiking boot in a wide version. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Timn

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/25/21 05:05 AM

I like Irish setter havocs very light and very comfortable.

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/25/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Do you wear Size C or D ?

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/25/21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Do you wear Size C or D ?

Wide, E or EE
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Best Upland Boots - 02/25/21 08:28 PM

I am on my second pair of Redwing Irish Setters. They are really comfortable, come in narrow widths and last a long time. I like the fact that they do not pick up much mud as you walk.
Posted By: Stohner

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/03/21 03:45 AM

Crispi Boots if you plan on spending actual time in the field. I have never seen a negative.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/03/21 06:18 PM

The pair I have wore since 2018 are Irish setter elk hunters. They take some breaking in but once that is done, they are comfortable, fairly light, waterproof, and durable. They come in various widths so you can get a good fit that you don’t slide around in with good ankle support. I am a forester and put more miles on a pair of boots in a year than many will in ten years. It takes a tough pair of boots to last one year of what I put them through. These are 3 years old and walk like a pair of sneakers.
The only knock some of y’all may not like is the vibram sole will pick up mud. I can put up with that to not bust my [censored] on slick ground. I guess the wife would not think she was doing her job though if she didn’t chew the leather from time to time about me tracking mud in the house with my boots on....
Posted By: Whoa

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/03/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Boone
I am on my second pair of Redwing Irish Setters. They are really comfortable, come in narrow widths and last a long time. I like the fact that they do not pick up much mud as you walk.

I will second that.....

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/03/21 08:58 PM

I just bought a pair of Oboz mid height. Got them at a REAL shoe store in Austin, that actually measure your feet. Had the size 11 wide that I needed. Will try them out at a field trial this weekend.

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/03/21 11:44 PM

I just bought a pair of Oboz mid height. Got them at a REAL shoe store in Austin, that actually measure your feet. Had the size 11 wide that I needed. Will try them out at a field trial this weekend.

Pure greatness.
Posted By: Txblklab

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/04/21 12:51 AM

Irish setters or a pair of asolo.

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/04/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Txblklab
Irish setters or a pair of asolo.

welcome
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/04/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chet
If there's a better boot than Russell South 40 I want some. My pair is at least 25 years old. Quit keeping me dry after 15 but so tough and comfortable in the field I live with it.

Agree
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/06/21 08:18 PM

I’ve been wearing ECCO for the last 5 years and they’ve been great.

Re: Best Upland Boots - 03/08/21 06:24 PM

The Oboz mid hikers worked out great at the field trial this weekend. Way better than the work boots I usually wear.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum