Texas Hunting Forum

Quail in Los Palomas WMA's?

Posted By: RGVshooter

Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/02/20 01:45 AM

Hi everyone first post here,

I'm in deep south Texas and within 30 minutes drive of most of the Los Paloma's WMA's. Of the Ebony, Tucker, Anacua and Carricitos unit's which is my best bet for Quail?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/02/20 11:35 PM

I hunted the largest area outside of Donna years ago for dove. Did come across a couple covies. All the info I can offer.

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/03/20 03:59 AM

I went back this morning at Ebony and on the south end along a fence line I finally came across a covey of quail. Brought one home with me... I guess it's hit or miss with these things.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/03/20 11:55 AM

Did you run dogs?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/03/20 12:27 PM

Beats staying home. welcome

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/03/20 07:50 PM

No, I don't have a dog. But I did bag another Bobwhite this morning near the same spot where I found a covey yesterday. Both times I found them along fence lines in the middle of a large grass field. They like to be out in the open but near structure such as fences, a line of trees between fields, bale of hay etc. Put on your best hiking boots. According to my Fitbit I logged in nearly 18000 steps. lol.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/06/20 11:42 PM

None of those units have much in the way of blrds. You are better off getting permission to hiunt Unimproved pastures or abandoned or old untended citrus groves.
Posted By: Chris Sand

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/16/20 05:26 PM

Ebony in Rangerville, Arroyo near Arroyo City and the one in Sebastian have all had upland birds (quail, chachalaca) for me, as said above, walk a bunch to turn them up. You usually can spot one near their cover if you put in distance on your boots or from the ranch roads. Then just walk over and shoot when they flush. There won't be a lot but you will be able to take some home most days with dedication to it.

Dogs will help bunches to get downed birds if they're not dead.

Re: Quail in Los Palomas WMA's? - 12/17/20 05:32 AM

It took some time but yes!

I found some quail at Ebony and Anacua WMA's. About 2-3 a day. But it involved a LOT of walking. The Chachalacas have been elusive for me so far but the workers out there have told me you can find them if you come out early in the AM. I guess the cool thing is nobody hunts these units outside of regular dove season and I pretty much have the entire units all to myself.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum