Texas Hunting Forum

Upland jacket

Posted By: Wburke2010

Upland jacket - 11/13/20 08:16 PM

Like the title says I need a good upland jacket. Something with some warmth to it. I looked at the cabelas instinct one and didn’t care for it. It was too light.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Upland jacket - 11/13/20 08:17 PM

Check out Orvis
Posted By: nak

Re: Upland jacket - 11/15/20 04:27 AM

About 10 minutes from the truck, I usually no longer want an upland jacked
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Upland jacket - 11/15/20 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by nak

This
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Upland jacket - 11/15/20 12:39 PM

I hunt from a vehicle and dress in layers.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Upland jacket - 11/15/20 05:07 PM

Orvis makes the best upland jacket -- light but warm, waterproof--zipper vents, sleeves cover back of hand, kidney flap, etc. However it is more expensive than just about everything on the market. Had mine 2 years and it has held up. really like the kidney flap-- no chill up your back when you bend over or exit a vehicle.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Upland jacket - 11/18/20 05:04 PM

check
kevinscatalog.com

https://kevinscatalog.com/collections/mens-jackets
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Upland jacket - 11/18/20 06:16 PM

Filson tin cloth upland jacket with zip in wool liner. Pricey but will turn the briars and last forever.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Upland jacket - 11/18/20 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Filson tin cloth upland jacket with zip in wool liner. Pricey but will turn the briars and last forever.

Does it come in hunter orange?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Originally Posted by nak

This

I'm with the fat guys.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted by nak

This

I'm with the fat guys.

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: P_102

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted by nak

This

I'm with the fat guys.

Yep, good thermals and layers go a long way! Heavy coats hinder shooting and are a PITA to carry while trying to walk up birds. My standard for Ks. pheasant is: PolarTec thermals (or other good ones) under pants and a heavy flannel shirt, light down vest and hat/gloves as needed. Birds go on bird rings. It’s a bit different in late January!

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

No

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

No

The Orvis jacket does.

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 05:37 PM

It depends on what you need. If blaze orange is a must, the filson is not the one. If you hunt the brush country in the cat claws, that filson coat and a pair of tin cloth chaps is like wearing armor.
Posted By: rioman42

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 06:18 PM

STONE CREEK HOUNDS HAS SOME REALLY NICE PRODUCTS THAT LAST.
THEY BOUGHT THE WICK COMPANY OUT.
I HAVE THEIR VEST, CHAPS AND PULLOVER. NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER

https://www.stonecreekhounds.com/
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Upland jacket - 11/19/20 06:34 PM

I bought a Browning jacket two years ago and it is awesome. Hunted some snow and wind in KS last Feb and it kept me plenty warm with a base layer, shirt and vest. I like the fact it is not heavily insulated so you can layer up. Really was a great wind blocker for sure

Here is the one I bought.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bro...OWNia7Lq2xoC5YoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: blanked

Re: Upland jacket - 11/20/20 01:46 AM

I like wool shirts. Not bulky at all. Theres different weight wool shirts. Woolrich is a good one. Wear a quality thermal shirt underneath. Take it off if it gets too warm and wear the wool shirt. I can wear a heavy wool shirt and thermal shirt in low 20s. And i am a skinny guy. A light wool shirt when warmer
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Upland jacket - 11/20/20 04:38 AM

I've been using a Sitka blaze orange compressed fleece jacket for a while now. I don't think they offer it any longer but it cuts the wind and cold down into the 40's quite well along with decent water resistance. It packs up small and I store it in the back pocket of my strap vest when I need to shed a layer. When it comes time to replace it I'll look at Filson and First Lite for a replacement.
Posted By: elcasador

Re: Upland jacket - 11/30/20 04:02 PM

Been using a LLBean waxed upland coat for about 4 years and my only complaint is the shell holders in the pockets are way too loose. Other than that it's been great so far.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Upland jacket - 11/30/20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010
Like the title says I need a good upland jacket. Something with some warmth to it. I looked at the cabelas instinct one and didn’t care for it. It was too light.

Should of asked me last week. Send me a text and I’ll hook you up
Posted By: tnduxcaller1

Re: Upland jacket - 11/30/20 09:56 PM

I am in Tallahassee working. Bride and I went to Thomasville, GA Sat afternoon. I went in to Kevin's and met him. He said wait here and I will be right. He comes by and saws follow me. I did not know where I was going. He took me to his other gun room upstairs. I do not think I have ever seen a H & H or a Purdy. He probably had at least 20+ $100,000 shotguns. There were 2 gauge H & H in a carrying case that he was talking to his gun guy and said they were $125,000 each. I bought my house years ago for $85,000. Someone mentioned I would have to give him my home and take a loan out......to get one of those .......
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Upland jacket - 12/02/20 05:56 PM

Tag

Re: Upland jacket - 12/02/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Tag

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-ptarmigan-interchange-parka-1644291.html?dwvar_1644291_color=250

Very versatile and easy to clean out

Re: Upland jacket - 12/02/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Tag

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-ptarmigan-interchange-parka-1644291.html?dwvar_1644291_color=250

Nice, looks very versatile?

Re: Upland jacket - 12/03/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Tag

It is, only bad thing is if you take off the arms because it’s hot and you loose them.

Re: Upland jacket - 12/03/20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Tag

It is, only bad thing is if you take off the arms because it’s hot and you loose them.

Thanks again. I just ordered one.

Re: Upland jacket - 12/03/20 08:57 PM

Don’t forget to get your wife something, I just wanted it on record that I reminded you. I’ve seen her shooting results. Just saying grin

Re: Upland jacket - 12/04/20 02:41 AM

Don’t forget to get your wife something, I just wanted it on record that I reminded you. I’ve seen her shooting results. Just saying grin

roflmao trust me. She is pissed that no one makes good hunting and fishing stuff for women. Finding fly fishing stuff for women was a pain and now finding a upland jacket is a pain so she is gonna get a nice jacket and strap vest. And yeah with those shooting results I don’t get to kill much. But I do get to gut and process a whole lot. roflmao and the eating ain’t half bad.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Upland jacket - 12/04/20 02:54 AM

roflmao trust me. She is pissed that no one makes good hunting and fishing stuff for women. Finding fly fishing stuff for women was a pain and now finding a upland jacket is a pain so she is gonna get a nice jacket and strap vest. And yeah with those shooting results I don’t get to kill much. But I do get to gut and process a whole lot. roflmao and the eating ain’t half bad.

The highlight, and I do mean "highlight", of my latest elk hunt, was the young girl that was the cook (shoulda included that part)...(slightly younger than my youngest daughter - 32-ish) showing off her bib overalls. She'd already taken a shine to this old man banana , so she showed me their greatest feature - the ability to unzip the arse and relieve oneself! Since I'd also taken a shine to the child, I asked her to take them off and see what brand they were. (This wasn't a problem, since she'd already been caught topless, in the middle of the night, by one of the other guides. I'd wondered what that pitter-patter of little feets was in the middle of the night that night. confused2 ) The label said "Diva" something. You can understand me not having 100% recall of the situation. loco_too

Re: Upland jacket - 12/04/20 02:37 PM

McKenna Quinn makes women's Upland clothing and they are here in Texas. Be warned, it's not cheap, but if she's looking to dress the part, they certainly have the goods.

https://shopmckennaquinn.com

Re: Upland jacket - 12/04/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tex68w

McKenna Quinn makes women's Upland clothing and they are here in Texas. Be warned, it's not cheap, but if she's looking to dress the part, they certainly have the goods.

https://shopmckennaquinn.com

Holy .... and I thought Sitka was expensive. She is not one in for the foo foo stuff just wants a nice jacket with a bird bag like all the other mens ones. We don't have a chance to do too much upland hunting and the kids would sure be pissed because they wouldn't be getting no Christmas presents. roflmao

Re: Upland jacket - 12/04/20 05:25 PM

Haha, yea, its super boujee stuff for the uber rich north San Antonio crowd.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Upland jacket - 12/07/20 03:44 PM

This is not a bad jacket for the price. This is the heaviest I go and its good with a layer under it for about a 25 degree light breeze morning in KS / SD, blocks wind well. On sale at other places for under $70

https://wildfowleroutfitter.com/traditional-upland-soft-shell-jacket

Re: Upland jacket - 12/08/20 08:56 PM

[Linked Image]

Got it in today. I’m really liking it, quality seems to be great and it should last a long time.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Upland jacket - 01/06/21 11:19 PM

I'm late to the game here but Mcalister used to make a hunter orange oil cloth coat. I don't where mine much because it get's hot but I'm one of the fat guys as mentioned on page 1.

Re: Upland jacket - 01/07/21 02:44 AM

[Linked Image]

Got it in today. I’m really liking it, quality seems to be great and it should last a long time.

Very nice!!! Now go get it bloody!!

Re: Upland jacket - 01/07/21 02:58 PM

It worked great for the week we were up in Kansas, and I was able to put a few birds in it. On the cold days it was great, on the other days I took the liner out and it was just about perfect, wasn't very cold but it kept the cold wind off me.
Posted By: hunt15

Re: Upland jacket - 01/07/21 06:51 PM

After shredding several game jackets over the years I went to a Filson Tin Game Bag. I ware it over a shirt when its hot, a rain jacket when its wet and a Carhart Jacket when its cold. Had it now for over 15 yrs. and its still works even though it looks like it is 15 yrs old..
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Upland jacket - 01/07/21 08:10 PM

I took a belt pack and sewed on shoulder straps and and a game bag I attach with horse blanket pins. Nice in cool in hot weather.

Re: Upland jacket - 01/07/21 08:18 PM

It worked great for the week we were up in Kansas, and I was able to put a few birds in it. On the cold days it was great, on the other days I took the liner out and it was just about perfect, wasn't very cold but it kept the cold wind off me.

Congrats!! My kind of hunt

Re: Upland jacket - 01/08/21 04:35 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum