Texas Hunting Forum

T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail

Posted By: shooterwalter

T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 09/11/20 07:53 PM

One year ago today, T. Boone Pickens left this world a better place. Did a lot for Quail.

Boone wasn't just generous with his wealth, but also with his wisdom. And especially today, given the challenges we face as a nation during this pandemic and the business strains that have been thrust upon so many, his last words shared with us carry some real gems we can all take comfort in.

• A good work ethic is critical.
• Don't think competition is bad, but play by the rules. I loved to compete and win. I never wanted the other guy to do badly; I just wanted to do a little better than he did.
• Learn to analyze well. Assess the risks and the prospective rewards, and keep it simple.
• Be willing to make decisions. That's the most important quality in a good leader: Avoid the "Ready-aim-aim-aim-aim" syndrome. You have to be willing to fire.
• Learn from mistakes. That's not just a cliché. I sure made my share. Remember the doors that smashed your fingers the first time and be more careful the next trip through.
• Be humble. I always believed the higher a monkey climbs in the tree, the more people below can see his [censored]. You don't have to be that monkey.
• Don't look to government to solve problems - the strength of this country is in its people.
• Stay fit. You don't want to get old and feel bad. You'll also get a lot more accomplished and feel better about yourself if you stay fit. I didn't make it to 91 by neglecting my health.
• Embrace change. Although older people are generally threatened by change, young people loved me because I embraced change rather than running from it. Change creates opportunity.
• Have faith, both in spiritual matters and in humanity, and in yourself. That faith will see you through the dark times we all navigate.

T. Boone Pickens 1928 to 2019
Thank you Boone, you're missed and greatly appreciated by so many.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 09/11/20 08:55 PM

RIP
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 09/11/20 09:25 PM

One of the great ones. He shared his ranch.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 09/11/20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
One of the great ones. He shared his ranch.

I've appraised the Mesa Vista a few times. Stunning ranch.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 09/11/20 10:17 PM

flag
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 11/09/20 09:28 PM

Always good to share - wisdom.
Posted By: arandy

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 11/10/20 11:52 AM

Had not seen previously. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: T. Boone Pickens from Park Cities Quail - 11/11/20 10:16 AM

Spot on, thanks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum