Texas Hunting Forum

I guess I'm a Quail farmer

Posted By: angus1956

I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 07:23 PM

Picked up 8 hens and 2 roosters today along with cages.
These are coturnix jumbo Brown's and go from hatched to full grown in 8 weeks.
They are meat and egg birds when dressed they are about 13 oz.
I enjoy the farm life so something else to do.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tbar

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 07:50 PM

up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 08:42 PM

Love it. cheers
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 08:59 PM

That looks fun
Posted By: Mundo

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 09:22 PM

I used to raise coturnix. When I started, I incubated every egg in caninet incubator. suddenly I had over 500 birds. Can't really taste the difference between coturnix and bobs. Most of the restaurant and market birds are coturlnix.

Raised them in a flight pen and released some. Survival rate was low but soon there were a lot of birds in the neighborhood wild enough for training purposes. However, they migrate and eventually all left and did not return. You can use use them from a launcher but you need to have taken the chase from the dog or have them on a check cord because they pen raised coturnix fly so slow some dogs can catch them in flight. (This can be a problem with Bobs too, but coturnix will tame even faster than bobs. We used to have a weekend training session with some redneck buddies. The neighbor called the game warden on us for hunting out of season but the warden came and saw the heads on the ground where we had cleaned birds and called me and asked if they were coturnix. He told me the neighbor had outed us and that he would explain to her that we weren't hunting and were not killing a bird considered a game bird by the state. One of the advantages of coturnix is you can get hatching eggs all year --you can only get bobs in the spring. And, of course, they mature twice as fast.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/22/20 09:57 PM

Pretty birds.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 12:02 AM

Nice!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 12:06 AM

food grill drink7

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mundo
I used to raise coturnix. When I started, I incubated every egg in caninet incubator. suddenly I had over 500 birds. Can't really taste the difference between coturnix and bobs. Most of the restaurant and market birds are coturlnix.

Raised them in a flight pen and released some. Survival rate was low but soon there were a lot of birds in the neighborhood wild enough for training purposes. However, they migrate and eventually all left and did not return. You can use use them from a launcher but you need to have taken the chase from the dog or have them on a check cord because they pen raised coturnix fly so slow some dogs can catch them in flight. (This can be a problem with Bobs too, but coturnix will tame even faster than bobs. We used to have a weekend training session with some redneck buddies. The neighbor called the game warden on us for hunting out of season but the warden came and saw the heads on the ground where we had cleaned birds and called me and asked if they were coturnix. He told me the neighbor had outed us and that he would explain to her that we weren't hunting and were not killing a bird considered a game bird by the state. One of the advantages of coturnix is you can get hatching eggs all year --you can only get bobs in the spring. And, of course, they mature twice as fast.

These birds are only 4 weeks old so a few more weeks before eggs. Gonna enjoy eggs/meat as it happens.
Incubator is next purchase as I understand it eggs go in get turned for 15 days and hatching starts at day 16-19.
With 8 hens it will only take 4_5 days to get a load for the incubator.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 01:22 AM

I raised them, a lot easier and more fun than having chickens in the backyard. The bad, fresh eggs are too small. I gave them to the neighbors, we called them "diet" eggs.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I raised them, a lot easier and more fun than having chickens in the backyard. The bad, fresh eggs are too small. I gave them to the neighbors, we called them "diet" eggs.

I was told to get some egg rings and crack 4/5 into the ring and start frying.
I'll give this a try.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 02:50 PM

They sell them pickled.

[Linked Image]

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

They sell them pickled.

[Linked Image]

I'm also going to try my hand at pickling some. A cold beer and some of them would be perfect.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956

They sell them pickled.

[Linked Image]

I'm also going to try my hand at pickling some. A cold beer and some of them would be perfect.

You can only eat so many pickled quail eggs, eventually enough is enough.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 04:33 PM

The link didn't work but there is an old wives tale about not being able to eat one quail a day for 30 days.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-eat-1-quail-a-day-for-30-days-What-happens

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 05:10 PM

Here's an old thread I started about frying quail.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-eat-1-quail-a-day-for-30-days-What-happens

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 05:14 PM

[/quote]

These birds are only 4 weeks old so a few more weeks before eggs. Gonna enjoy eggs/meat as it happens.
Incubator is next purchase as I understand it eggs go in get turned for 15 days and hatching starts at day 16-19.
With 8 hens it will only take 4_5 days to get a load for the incubator. [/quote]

Cabinet incubators like the ones fro gqf are expensive but the way to go. automatic turners, humidity controls save you a lot of trouble.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 05:43 PM

Been reading up on incubators temp, humidy and turner are a must for accuracy.
Been looking at a Little Giant Delux and a Hovator for units under $200.00.I still have a lot of research to do.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 07:18 PM

They sell them pickled.

[Linked Image]

You can only eat so many pickled quail eggs, eventually enough is enough.

Man I disagree! Love them things, I buy them by the case.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/23/20 07:52 PM

Been reading up on incubators temp, humidy and turner are a must for accuracy.
Been looking at a Little Giant Delux and a Hovator for units under $200.00.I still have a lot of research to do.

something like this. http://www.gqfmfg.com/1200e-series/1202e-classic-sportsman/ You can order eggs online. Coturnix can be had for $53 for 100 delivered. https://bdfarm.com
Bobs are a little more but seasonal. You can also get pheasant and chukars fairly cheap but they need more space because they are more aggressive.

Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/24/20 02:25 AM

Bobwhites are better tasting meat and egg wise

When yiu re ready to expand variety

I have

California Valley $150
Breeding pair

Gambel $150

Texas blue scale
And bobwhites

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/24/20 12:58 PM

Fried is my favorite way to cook them. I don't remember the last time I had them. You could load up at NSTRA trials. I did a few field trial lunches with them.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/24/20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by cabosandinh
Bobwhites are better tasting meat and egg wise

When yiu re ready to expand variety

I have

California Valley $150
Breeding pair

Gambel $150

Texas blue scale
And bobwhites

Thanks. I really like the California quail.
up

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/24/20 03:26 PM

angus

I like that cage, can you share the Brand/model ?

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/24/20 09:17 PM

angus

Check with the local feed stores for rabbit cage building supplies, a crimper, the clips and wire cutter. For cages for layers you want a slight slope on the floor so eggs roll through a small opening into an open area.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 01:37 AM

angus

Check with the local feed stores for rabbit cage building supplies, a crimper, the clips and wire cutter. For cages for layers you want a slight slope on the floor so eggs roll through a small opening into an open area.

Cages come fromTerrell, TX. Steve Larkin has been making quail cages for 30 years and knows his stuff.
Here is his number 214 536 7525.
Yes the breeder cage has a sloped front for EZ egg retrieval.
I also purchased from Steve a grow out cage that will hold 30 young birds till mature.
He's a wealth of knowledge and a good resource for me as a beginner grower.
Good guy and easy to work with.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 01:40 AM

Got a pic of the grow out cage?

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Got a pic of the grow out cage?

Ill get you one tomorrow. All cages come with drinkers and feed stations.
Grow out cage has 2 feed stations and 4 drinkers along with poop tray for EZ cleaning and teflon coated wire bottoms for EZ cleaning.Cage is 24X48X 11" Tall.
Call Steve he's a busy guy had to wait a month for my order.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer, grow out cage pics added - 08/25/20 05:56 PM

Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer, grow out cage pics added - 08/25/20 06:52 PM

Nice!

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer, grow out cage pics added - 08/25/20 09:43 PM

angus

Cages come fromTerrell, TX. Steve Larkin has been making quail cages for 30 years and knows his stuff.
Here is his number 214 536 7525.
Yes the breeder cage has a sloped front for EZ egg retrieval.
I also purchased from Steve a grow out cage that will hold 30 young birds till mature.
He's a wealth of knowledge and a good resource for me as a beginner grower.
Good guy and easy to work with.

Thank you, I'll call him

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 09:45 PM

angus

didn't know they make quail cages from rabbit cage materials

I'll check with Tractor Supply

thank you

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 10:31 PM

Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Price?

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 10:53 PM

Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Price?

Yep. This was a Johnny house quail.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 11:20 PM

Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Price?

[Linked Image]

Oxner, you need to get a new pup to train. It will give you something to do and give us some new pictures to look at. I know the new pup will outlive you but you can will it to me and I’ll hunt her til she’s done. It’ll be a win for the whole THF.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/25/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Price?

[Linked Image]

Oxner, you need to get a new pup to train. It will give you something to do and give us some new pictures to look at. I know the new pup will outlive you but you can will it to me and I’ll hunt her til she’s done. It’ll be a win for the whole THF.

I'm beggin' ya to take this fine gentleman up on this deal. Hell, there'd probably be a THF shuttle/Honor caravan to get the pooch to wherever scalebuster resides. I know I'd drive part of, if not all the way. up

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/26/20 02:39 AM

For both cages, breeder and grow out cage was $348.00. This includes all the fixings. Drinkers, plumbing connectots for drinker system, feeders, poop tray, Teflon coated cage bottom, egg removal section on breeder cage along with a wealth of knowledge from Steve Larkin the builder. His PH is up in earlier post.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/26/20 02:21 PM

One of my buddies manages a large scale quail farm... the munchies are good up
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 08/26/20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Grow out cage pictures
Size 24x48x11"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Price?

[Linked Image]

I've made him the same offer years ago. so have others. My offer still stand too.

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 09/09/20 05:31 PM

Got out first egg today 12 more and we can eat breakfast. banana

Second pic looks like a quail selfie.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: I guess I'm a Quail farmer - 09/09/20 11:42 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum