Texas Hunting Forum

Front running dogs

Posted By: bill oxner

Front running dogs - 06/09/20 12:37 AM

Nature or nurture?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 12:45 AM

Nature. I have a pointer that when I first started hunting her, when I put her on the ground, she Would run where we just came from. After collar conditioning, she would run out front, a long way. But you had to keep an eye on her. She like to go to the right, then sneak off to the rear. Toot on the whistle, or tone on the collar would usual bring her back around. If not, a little REA would do the trick.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 06:14 AM

Yes smile My first pointer, Katie, was nurture(but you knew that on day one that you saw her).

The the one that I have now(Outlaw Jackson-Jack) is all nature. He was trained for AllAge in North Dakota.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 01:29 PM

With mine, it's been nature.

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Most of mine were, with one really big exception. I bought my. First Garmin because of her.

There are three non hunting bird dogs in my neighborhood. The two year old GSP has never been hunting. He joins me on my morning walk at times. He's always at the front between ten and two. A five heard old Brittany was trained but seldom hunted. He's out in front of his owner while he is mowing his yard. A six month old GSP is already pointing song birds and dragon flies.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 03:46 PM

I think it’s both but a lot of nurture goes into developing what I judge to be a front running dog that runs the way I want. I also believe opportunity as a puppy plays a role in developing the confidence to hunt out of sight of the handler yet keep contact with the handler without the need to come all the way back. That connection without hacking on the dog is developed. Range is something that they are born with.

Edit to add: A dog running to the front and staying there has to maintain handler contact with its eyes and ears. A dog that loops around behind is defaulting to its nose to keep up with the handler. From my experience relying on eyes and ears needs to be learned except with a boot polisher where handler contact is a non issue.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Front running dogs - 06/09/20 03:49 PM

Mostly nature but some nurture too. Like Bill said, my dogs get lots of neighborhood walking so they have always tended toward the right, which would be exploring up in the yards or off to that side of the neighborhood trail. I have to make sure I compensate in the field for the left. I also pull them up in front when they stop on something interesting when they get even with me so they don't get used to being behind me. Even on the 16 foot leash it seems to help in the field. Though in the field most of the interesting stuff in up ahead!
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Front running dogs - 06/11/20 05:42 PM

you can hack them and ruin their nature.
Posted By: nak

Re: Front running dogs - 06/12/20 03:53 AM

In still weather, my Brittany hunts in front. If the wind is blowing, he hunts into wind, unless I send him a tone reminder or a hack him a little. Usually after 4 or 5 reminders, he will stay in front without hacking
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Front running dogs - 06/19/20 05:14 PM

Nature, although early on, we can help pattern them. After a brace a judge told me...that dog don't so much go with you, he more meets you where you're going. Still smile about that one.

Re: Front running dogs - 06/19/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Most of mine were, with one really big exception. I bought my. First Garmin because of her.

There are three non hunting bird dogs in my neighborhood. The two year old GSP has never been hunting. He joins me on my morning walk at times. He's always at the front between ten and two. A five heard old Brittany was trained but seldom hunted. He's out in front of his owner while he is mowing his yard. A six month old GSP is already pointing song birds and dragon flies.

This is the first GSP. He also likes to ride in. My Gator. Load-up has to be the sassiest command in my whole wide world.

[Linked Image]

He has a smile on his face.
cheers
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Front running dogs - 06/20/20 01:44 PM

He’s got a neck full of collars!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Front running dogs - 06/20/20 05:37 PM

Good lookin pup
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Front running dogs - 07/17/20 09:30 PM

Hunt them into the wind and they'll stay up front. Otherwise their noses are going to keep turning them around.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum