Texas Hunting Forum

Quail and Pheasant Report

Posted By: Zackthefisherman

Quail and Pheasant Report - 12/24/19 09:23 PM

Last week I spent a few days hunting in Dalhart with my friend/mentor and his teenage son. After our long drive we spent the last few hours of day one chasing Pheasant. According to our guide the Pheasant numbers were the best he has seen in this area. Driving up to a spot we flushed a group of 50+! I was able to bag my first two Pheasants after getting skunked last year. We spent all of day two chasing quail. After a full day of hunting we found around a dozen coveys. Most being large coveys of Blues, but we did find a few coveys of Bobs. We only hunted until lunch day 3 but found four coveys in that time.

The highlight of my trip was seeing things start to click for my two year old Shorthair. This is my first dog, and I am training him myself. He has had very limited bird exposure with the bad bird numbers the past two years. The scenting conditions were bad the whole trip and even the guides dogs struggled. My dog hunted hard for three days and held his first point on a tight holding single. He also found a crippled Blue that three or four other dogs passed up. Watching him do what he was born to do really got me fired up! We are wanting to hunt South Texas before this season ends. If anyone has a contact for an outfitter or even an after deer season lease please send a Pm. I didn't take many picture but will try to post what I have.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail and Pheasant Report - 12/24/19 11:00 PM

And the world stood still. Pure greatness.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Quail and Pheasant Report - 12/25/19 02:38 AM

Sounds like a great hunt. Forrest
Posted By: Conner Allen

Re: Quail and Pheasant Report - 12/26/19 09:29 PM

Found a lot of Pheasants in Dalhart this year - I'm glad you are seeing some quail - I have heard it is bad this year. We did jump a covey of 50 bobs while chasing ringnecks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum