Texas Hunting Forum

Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly)

Posted By: quailg

Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/23/19 07:39 PM

I have a Alpha 100 with 3 collars and its just way too small to view the tracking. Is there a way to tie the screen into a lap top screen? Also,is there anyway to download the property(Texas) from Google Satellite maps to this lap top? It would be nice to know where you are exactly on the property in relation to the dogs. thanks
Posted By: Kelulu

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/23/19 08:17 PM

The Alpha and Astro both use Bluetooth technology to communicate with compatible external devices (most frequently the Garmin line of smart watches). If the laptop is Bluetooth compatible it might be able to connect to the handheld.

I'm not sure it's the right solution for you but the watch is easy to use and I'm really amazed at how much using it has helped improve my hunting experience. I spend very little time looking at a screen and much more time with my eyes up watching the dogs. It seems like such a small thing but it adds to the enjoyment of my days in the field a great deal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/23/19 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by quailg
I have a Alpha 100 with 3 collars and its just way too small to view the tracking. Is there a way to tie the screen into a lap top screen? Also,is there anyway to download the property(Texas) from Google Satellite maps to this lap top? It would be nice to know where you are exactly on the property in relation to the dogs. thanks

You can buy a chip that loads Texas maps and landowners into the gps handheld--about $100. I think there is also away to download the maps for a little less.
You can also get the pro 550 as a handheld--an expensive solution but a really quick and foolproof way to correct dogs.

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/23/19 08:24 PM

Kelulu,
I generally try to watch my dogs instead of the screen, but If I swapping out dogs or just trying to not cover the same ground twice a bigger screen would be nice.Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Posted By: nak

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/24/19 01:38 AM

I got the watch 2 years ago and it is GREAT!!!

Not only easier to read, you do not have to juggle your gun around to hold the Alpha
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/24/19 01:44 PM

Quailg: If I understand it, you are wanting to look at the tracks of your dogs and yourself to see if you are missing some areas, and double- or triple-covering others. The watch isn't going to help with that. This isn't the answer you wanted, but you can download Garmin Basecamp onto your laptop (free), and then download the tracks of you and your dogs and look at them at the end of the day to evaluate coverage. I suppose you could keep a laptop in the 4-wheeler and download it every time you give your dogs a break.
Garmin does sell a semi-portable screen that I think will give you real-time tracking. I guess guys with hog dogs or coon dogs will use that and then just leave it in the truck and watch their dogs work on a bigger screen. I haven't researched that, but I just assume the fact that Garmin sells that means a laptop won't work in the same way.
The watch is handy for just keeping track of where your dogs are at right now. If you go that route, consider NOT getting the latest model. Brand new older models sell from reputable sellers on online auction sites for cheaper.
Mundo mentioned a chip. The one I use is On-X. Worth every penny if you need to know property boundaries, and will also show the name of the registered owner. Slips right in to your Alpha under the battery.

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/24/19 08:06 PM

Lalo,
That's the answer I was looking for. The country I look all looks alike and a tracker on big screen is needed. Thank you and Merry Christmas
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Alpha 100(Hard to read quickly) - 12/25/19 02:58 AM

[Linked Image]

I got this a couple months ago, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum