Texas Hunting Forum

4 wheeler and quail

Posted By: samsamthemex

4 wheeler and quail - 01/20/19 02:04 PM

Am I legal to ride the 4 wheeler around and find quail? Then get off and flush them and shoot them? My lease partner says it is legal! Gunna call th warden after a while.

I have seen quite a bit of quail on my place while riding around. I know two areas that hold them.
Posted By: RayB

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/20/19 02:05 PM

Been doing it for years, in South TX they ride around in trucks set up for quail hunting
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/20/19 02:19 PM

No need to bother the game warden. It’s perfectly legal.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/20/19 03:24 PM

Ask for help with bird dogs. You'll get free bird dogs and free rides. Location.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/20/19 06:28 PM

As long as your not shooting migratory game, not on public land, and not shooting from or over a public road, your good to go.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/21/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Ask for help with bird dogs. You'll get free bird dogs and free rides. Location.

lol35
Posted By: blanked

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/21/19 11:16 PM

Unless you have a disability or young kids with you it’s all about boot leather
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/22/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by blanked
Unless you have a disability or young kids with you it’s all about boot leather

I beg to differ.

Martini time. Let's pick them up;

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/22/19 01:27 AM

I’d like to see somebody burning boot leather in South Texas. I’d pay to ride and watch.
Posted By: blanked

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 01/23/19 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I’d like to see somebody burning boot leather in South Texas. I’d pay to ride and watch.

If your referring to snakes I wouldn’t rum my dogs if snakes were a concern
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/11/19 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
As long as your not shooting migratory game, not on public land, and not shooting from or over a public road, your good to go.

The only exception to shooting from the ATV, is if you are disabled qualified you just have to be stopped and some say motor turned off. All the other rules about not shooting from or across a road still apply.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/11/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Chase Blues out here in west Texas and you'll totally understand the term burning leather.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/16/19 05:19 PM

the real deal is horseback
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/16/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelin' Outdoorsman

The only exception to shooting from the ATV, is if you are disabled qualified you just have to be stopped and some say motor turned off. All the other rules about not shooting from or across a road still apply.

"Lawful Means and Methods

It is LEGAL to:

hunt animals and non-migratory game birds from a motor vehicle, powerboat, sailboat, or from any other floating device within the boundaries of private property or upon private water."

Nothing about being disabled, being stopped or turning the motor off in the TP&W Code.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/17/19 12:38 AM

ntxtrapper, He was adding to the "not on public land" reply of my question. cheers

TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
CHAPTER 65 WILDLIFE
SUBCHAPTER H PUBLIC LANDS PROCLAMATION
RULE §65.201 Motor Vehicles
(a) It is an offense to not confine motor vehicle use to designated roads, except parking is permitted on the shoulder of or immediately adjacent to designated roads, and as provided for a disabled person or for a person directly assisting a disabled person.
(b) It is unlawful to hunt any wildlife resource from a motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or possess a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
(c) A disabled person may possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle and may hunt from a motor vehicle except only paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt migratory birds from a motor vehicle, provided the motor vehicle is not in motion, the engine is not running, and the motor vehicle is not located on a designated road, designated vehicle parking area, or designated campground.

(d) Except as authorized for specific areas and time periods by order of the executive director, or by written permission of the hunt supervisor or area manager, it is an offense for an individual other than a disabled person or a person directly assisting a disabled person to operate an off-road vehicle on public hunting lands. A person who uses an off-road vehicle to directly assist a disabled person under the provisions of this subchapter may not use the off-road vehicle to travel beyond normal speaking distance of the disabled person:
(1) except to return to an authorized road or trail; or
(2) unless such use is authorized by the department on the unit of public hunting lands at that time.
(e) The provisions of Chapter 59, Subchapter J of this title (relating to Off-Highway Vehicle Trail and Recreational Area Program) do not apply to a disabled person or a person assisting a disabled person who is participating in department-sanctioned activities on public hunting lands.

The exception for migratory game part in TPWD code is there because of Title 50, code of Federal Regulations, Part 20 and would apply to both private and public land. .....except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance. "Paraplegic" means an individual afflicted with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord

Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: 4 wheeler and quail - 02/18/19 06:03 AM

ntxtrapper, He was adding to the "not on public land" reply of my question. cheers

TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
CHAPTER 65 WILDLIFE
SUBCHAPTER H PUBLIC LANDS PROCLAMATION
RULE §65.201 Motor Vehicles
(a) It is an offense to not confine motor vehicle use to designated roads, except parking is permitted on the shoulder of or immediately adjacent to designated roads, and as provided for a disabled person or for a person directly assisting a disabled person.
(b) It is unlawful to hunt any wildlife resource from a motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or possess a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
(c) A disabled person may possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle and may hunt from a motor vehicle except only paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt migratory birds from a motor vehicle, provided the motor vehicle is not in motion, the engine is not running, and the motor vehicle is not located on a designated road, designated vehicle parking area, or designated campground.

(d) Except as authorized for specific areas and time periods by order of the executive director, or by written permission of the hunt supervisor or area manager, it is an offense for an individual other than a disabled person or a person directly assisting a disabled person to operate an off-road vehicle on public hunting lands. A person who uses an off-road vehicle to directly assist a disabled person under the provisions of this subchapter may not use the off-road vehicle to travel beyond normal speaking distance of the disabled person:
(1) except to return to an authorized road or trail; or
(2) unless such use is authorized by the department on the unit of public hunting lands at that time.
(e) The provisions of Chapter 59, Subchapter J of this title (relating to Off-Highway Vehicle Trail and Recreational Area Program) do not apply to a disabled person or a person assisting a disabled person who is participating in department-sanctioned activities on public hunting lands.

The exception for migratory game part in TPWD code is there because of Title 50, code of Federal Regulations, Part 20 and would apply to both private and public land. .....except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance. "Paraplegic" means an individual afflicted with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord

Thank you Sniper John. That was my point.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum