Texas Hunting Forum

Elephant Mountain

Posted By: MI2TX

Elephant Mountain - 08/04/18 05:21 AM

Anybody hunted elephant mountain in the last couple of years? Was thinking about making it my last trip for the season. It’s a nice chunks of land
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/05/18 02:44 AM

I did Black Gap last year which is in the vicinity of Elephant Mountain. There were plenty of birds, but warm weather only allowed morning and evening hunts. Very rugged, very cool place. I would do it again. The terrain can be pretty rough on the dogs, mine seemed to handle it ok, just got too warm.

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/05/18 08:57 PM

Did you end up using boots? I’m thinking about a trip down there the last weekend of the Texas season. When did you go down? I feel like elephant mountain and black gap are places not a lot of people pressure because of the location and terrain after talking to some folks. Blues are also a tough adversary.

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/06/18 01:13 AM

We went in January. It would get lower 30's at night, and upper 70's for the high. I did not use dog boots.

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/06/18 02:05 AM

I’m thinking about making the trip from Dallas and willing to work for it. Did you all push a lot of coveys?

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/06/18 03:33 PM

I wouldn't say a lot, but enough. You will need to do quite a bit of driving, or you will wear out your dog.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/06/18 05:31 PM

I was thinking about Black Gap for blue quail and I might drive a car due to better gas mileage. How are the roads (at least the main road), how far can I get a car into the area?
I've hunted bobs but not blues- are they in the flatlands? Any stock tanks in the area they may mill around?

Re: Elephant Mountain - 08/06/18 06:46 PM

You will not get very far in a car. I saw 1 stock tank, there are a lot of guzzlers for water, and of course the Rio Grande. I saw blues where if was flat, I saw blues flush and run straight up a mountain. They do not hold until the covey is broken up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum