Texas Hunting Forum

S. Dakota pheasant hunts

Posted By: huntinraider

S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/20/18 02:21 AM

Been a life dream to pheasant hunt S. Dakota. I’m looking at lodges and wondered if you guys had any suggestions for a 5-6 guy trip. Appreciate any suggestions that you’ve hunted with.
Posted By: Buckshot54

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/20/18 04:20 AM

Rooster Tales - Brad Hutchison in Burke South Dakota...been there several times. Awesome.
Posted By: RayB

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/20/18 01:09 PM

My suggestion is go to North Dakota instead, from what I have been reading more birds.
Posted By: Chet

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/20/18 02:54 PM

Have dogs in Lemmon S.D. (on S.D. N.D. boarder) now and seem to be having quite a few contacts with ditch parrots as well as chickens.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/20/18 03:40 PM

I hunted/stayed at Jim River Ranch with several friends and we loved it. Great place, we had so much fun.

http://www.jimriverranch.com/
Posted By: cheyne

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/22/18 12:11 AM

Dakotahotspots.com in Kennebec,SD
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/24/18 11:15 AM

Scattergun. I think they were outside of Pierre. A couple of us ran into them a couple of years ago while they were hunting ditches the day before the season opened. They had a 100 birds on the trailer. It probably was a fun shoot for the shooters as long as they didn't see guy dropping the birds in the ditch just over the hill in front of them.

My advice is to go to an outfitter that has lots of good land. There is no reason to go up there and hunt caged birds. The good private land is covered in birds.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/24/18 08:59 PM

You guys are going all the way to South Dakota to hunt pen raised birds?
Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 07/24/18 11:29 PM

I hunted S.D. for about 6 years but we only hunted wild birds. We hunted out of Redfield. Email me if you want the contact information.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/03/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Many do but don't know it.
Posted By: RayB

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/03/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Beats staying home, you guys have no sense of adventure
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/03/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Beats staying home, you guys have no sense of adventure

If I hunted pen raised birds while up there then they did a hell of a job putting birds all over different fields, I guess having us doing a push to get zero birds was to just throw us off the scent.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/06/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: huntinraider
Been a life dream to pheasant hunt S. Dakota. I’m looking at lodges and wondered if you guys had any suggestions for a 5-6 guy trip. Appreciate any suggestions that you’ve hunted with.

www.shattuckhunting.com
Roxie and Darrel Shattuck run a reasonable, first class operation. In Gregory SD. Hunt preserve land and get your money’s worth.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/08/18 06:01 PM

I think the limit is 3 birds. If you are told to shoot all you want, then some will be pen raised birds.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/08/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: furfinrfeather
I think the limit is 3 birds. If you are told to shoot all you want, then some will be pen raised birds.

I'm not knocking you guys. It's just not my up of tea.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/14/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: furfinrfeather

Tell the birds they are pen raised. Never seen one act different than a wild bird.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/14/18 08:59 PM

Bill,
Please explain how pen raised birds, act, fly, run or do anything else different than so called “wild” birds. My experience is that they are just as hard to kill as “wild” birds.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/14/18 09:40 PM

In my experience, pen raised birds hold much tighter than wild birds. Depending on the operation's flight pens, some also don't fly quite as hard/fast. Doesn't mean they are any less fun to shoot though.

So Dak Pheasant Numbers

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/14/18 11:29 PM

I never hunted pin raised birds in S. D. but I have seen wild birds start getting the heck out of a field because someone slammed the truck door.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/14/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat

Bill,
Please explain how pen raised birds, act, fly, run or do anything else different than so called “wild” birds. My experience is that they are just as hard to kill as “wild” birds.

I'm there for the dog work. I've hunted both. I really like NSTRA. It not the birds but the distance. You can hunt any pen raised bird you want to hunt at Top Flight which is an hour from me.
Posted By: DaleGribble

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 01:40 PM

LOL at pen raised birds being just as hard to kill as wild birds. Wild birds run more, further, and faster. They flush wilder, fly faster, and act more erratically. Also, cripples won't give up like pen birds. Anyone that thinks it is even close has not hunted true wild birds much.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 04:10 PM

Bill,

You are kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding. The comparison really is not even close. I would take just two wild bird finds with my dogs as opposed to shooting 30 pen raised birds. Wow!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Bill,

You are kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding. The comparison really is not even close. I would take just two wild bird finds with my dogs as opposed to shooting 30 pen raised birds. Wow!

+1
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DaleGribble
LOL at pen raised birds being just as hard to kill as wild birds. Wild birds run more, further, and faster. They flush wilder, fly faster, and act more erratically. Also, cripples won't give up like pen birds. Anyone that thinks it is even close has not hunted true wild birds much.

Agreed...110%.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 07:10 PM

Agree not even close.
Posted By: 16ga

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 08:16 PM

One of my dogs is really classy pointed. High head, high tail, on his tiptoes kinda dog. I used him to help guide at a preserve few years ago. After a couple of days he looked like a wet rag pointed. Even he knew the difference.

Early season pre release can improve the birds, but if I'm driving 8 hours it's for wild birds.

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 16ga
One of my dogs is really classy pointed. High head, high tail, on his tiptoes kinda dog. I used him to help guide at a preserve few years ago. After a couple of days he looked like a wet rag pointed. Even he knew the difference.

Early season pre release can improve the birds, but if I'm driving 8 hours it's for wild birds.

Ever considered NSTRA?
Posted By: 16ga

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/15/18 08:49 PM

I ran 2 dogs in couple of trials a long time ago and was really impressed with the quality of dogs running. Didn't get nothin done, but we had a good time. Super nice people.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/16/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
In my experience, pen raised birds hold much tighter than wild birds. Depending on the operation's flight pens, some also don't fly quite as hard/fast. Doesn't mean they are any less fun to shoot though.

So Dak Pheasant Numbers

That article makes a good case for using pen raise pheasant as a way to protect the wild birds from too much hunting pressure.

The other interesting aspect of this is pheasants are the same as hogs... an invasive exotic species not native to the US yet we treat them as a native game bird.

Looking at the history of the 'American' pheasant you would be hard pressed to say pen raised birds dont know how to survive in the wild since they were a majority of the original breeding stock here which eventually led to 'wild' populations.

Quote:
As noted there were releases of wild pheasants from China in the late 1800’s, but the foundation of most wild bird populations in the U.S. derive from those English game farm importations.

Pheasant history
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/16/18 08:37 PM

Greg Biggins in SD. Been years ago but great hunt wild birds in all type of land conditions. He also has the ability to do preserve bird hunting. Food was great and plenty of it. Large accomodations, great dogs, shooting. Wish I could get back

http://www.bigginshuntingservice.com/
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/16/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Greg Biggins in SD. Been years ago but great hunt wild birds in all type of land conditions. He also has the ability to do preserve bird hunting. Food was great and plenty of it. Large accomodations, great dogs, shooting. Wish I could get back

http://www.bigginshuntingservice.com/

'Sent an inquiry for 2019. Thanks!

Re: S. Dakota pheasant hunts - 08/23/18 12:29 AM

Why not just do a tower shoot if you are just there for the birds and shooting?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum