Texas Hunting Forum

How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer

Posted By: blanked

How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 12:26 PM

I find roading my dogs from a mountain bike with water along the way for them to jump in works for me.
Posted By: RayB

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 12:32 PM

I tried that, my setter kept yanking me over.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I tried that, my setter kept yanking me over.

I did it for years. You need to attach the chain to the spring of your bike under the seat bike.
Posted By: blanked

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 01:41 PM

Barney. I have the Walky dog and found it was too short extension keeping the dog too close to the bike. Dog kept trying to pull away from the bike. I added about 2 feet extension
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 02:04 PM

When at the lake we take our dogs (labs) and send them for a retrieve from the boat then slowly drive the boat away from them back to the house for a quarter to mile long swims regularly.
Posted By: RayB

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 02:11 PM

I bought one of these
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 02:21 PM

This is not a good picture but you can see how it worked for me. I use a chain with a buckle on each end. One end was attached to the sprang under my seat and the other to the dogs collar. The dogs all learned to lean against the collar. I later got a roadiing harness.

Posted By: arandy

Re: How do you keep your dogs in shape during summer - 05/22/18 03:13 PM

Four of my dogs run loose and two I put a collar on and they come running when I whistle because they know what happens when they don't mind. The other one requires collars on her neck and flank or she will go yonder. I run her every day with a 4 wheeler. 20 mph is her average speed unless it is hot and humid and when she gets good and hot she jumps in the lake and swims like a Lab. Dangdest dog I ever saw of any breed. No way you can keep up with her on a bicycle. All my dogs are in good enough shape to start hunting tomorrow. Living in the middle of nowhere has a few advantages.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum