Texas Hunting Forum

Last weekend

Posted By: cattle69

Last weekend - 02/27/18 11:39 PM

I had a great last weekend, the kids choose hunting with dad over a birthday party. It was great to see where dad and bird hunting ranked on their list. We got to leave early Friday as the kids had an early release from kindergarten. We met a now dear friend and Annie's new owner at the lease in Reagan County where we hunted that evening. He was also nice enough to leave Annie with us to hunt the next day. Scenting conditions were good to fair that evening and think we pointed four coveys. The kids and I stayed the night and hunted Saturday morning at the lease where we pointed 3 coveys and hunted till noon we could tell it was starting to get a little drier and was awful windy. We then decided to load it up and hunt with Grandpa and my nephew in Kent Co. We hunted a little Saturday evening and just moved one covey. On Sunday morning my buddy came down to Kent Co. and brought reinforcements. I think between my dad, me, and Andy we had 10 dogs loaded up. We hunted Britneys , English pointers, Llewellyn setters, and English setters it was a good morning, but the hunting was a little slow. We moved 5 coveys that morning and had a blast. We saw tons of pigs and even caught a few the kids loved that part. That evening we found two or three big coveys late, you could tell when the scenting conditions got a little better. The hunt was ended with a great couple of points and dog/retrieve finds. I can say scenting conditions were not very good in Kent co., but all the coveys that were found there were of good size. Unfortunately some eye worms were found, but in only a quarter of the birds. I hope it rains like hell this spring and summer and can have another year like 2016-2017.

Re: Last weekend - 02/27/18 11:40 PM

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 12:14 AM

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 12:15 AM

cheers
Posted By: Chet

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 02:22 AM

up
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 03:01 AM

Great Times, like seeing the young ones along. Thanks for sharing. Forrrest
Posted By: arandy

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 11:12 AM

It really was a treat to get to hunt with this great family! Those energetic kids are loaded with personality snd enthusiasm! When they get old enough to shoot I predict their Dad will be cleaning a lot more birds!
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 12:31 PM

Love the kid pics, brings back some good memories of my two boys walking around with their red ryders
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 01:09 PM

up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 04:35 PM

What did you end up naming the pig..... popcorn
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Last weekend - 02/28/18 04:46 PM

A funny thing happened to me a couple of seasons ago. My female setter derby caught a baby pig about the size of these and retrieved it “to hand” for me. It was a circus! And very much alive! Puppies and the crap they can get into...
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Last weekend - 03/01/18 12:19 AM

Great story and awesome pics! I like others like seeing the kids along. up

Re: Last weekend - 03/01/18 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Without any argument she let it go when I said her mom would not be pleased with another animal she would have to care for.
Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs

Re: Last weekend - 03/05/18 08:44 PM

awesome!
Posted By: OK243

Re: Last weekend - 03/08/18 09:06 PM

Looks like a great weekend filled memories!
Posted By: GR Wilkins

Re: Last weekend - 03/13/18 01:19 AM

Hey Cattle 69er, had a question for you, I sent you a pm. Love to see those kids out there like I was able to do so long ago with my Dad.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Last weekend - 03/13/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs
awesome!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Last weekend - 03/13/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: cattle69
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Without any argument she let it go when I said her mom would not be pleased with another animal she would have to care for.

I would have been raisin a pig..... bang
Posted By: Michael Wilson

Re: Last weekend - 03/13/18 02:30 AM

Looking good.

Re: Last weekend - 03/22/18 01:49 AM

Sorry for the delayed response sent PM back at you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum