Texas Hunting Forum

Two ole birdawg men

Posted By: GR Wilkins

Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 07:20 PM

I am hoping I was able to load this picture correctly from our hunt this past Monday north of San Angelo. Average hunter age 81, 10 coveys found, 22 bobs cleaned on Monday. Listening to these two old goats brag about shooting 1,000 percent for the day ( both went 1 for 1 in the shooting Monday!) over a nice meal Monday night was priceless. We had decent luck Tuesday and Wed. morning despite the drought like conditions. That whole country needs moisture real bad. We did not find a single covey of blues in 2.5 days of hunting. My brother went back around Thanksgiving on the same lease and found about a dozen coveys of blues so I am not sure if they just moved to a nearby ranch or went into hiding. I checked about 10 birds for eye worms and did not find any worms in the ones I cleaned. Hope to get back out again in late Feb.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 07:24 PM

cheers
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 09:25 PM

Greatness.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 09:47 PM

up
Posted By: Michael Wilson

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 10:32 PM

Nice
Posted By: Cinch

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/26/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Greatness.

cheers
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 02:04 AM

Y’all should get together with Bill and start an old timers hunting club. I’d volunteer to be dog boy
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Y’all should get together with Bill and start an old timers hunting club. I’d volunteer to be dog boy
I'd love to sit around at night and listen to the stories.

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 02:24 AM

Are eye worms visible with the naked eye?

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 02:37 PM

You can check for eye worms with this method. There are probably other methods I have not read about. I have seen quail with a load of them before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfqw8dGk5E
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 03:08 PM

Posted By: redhaze

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 04:11 PM

Nice.
Posted By: 12gauge

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 04:50 PM

Great information with regards to eyeworms. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/27/18 04:54 PM

That's awesome glad to see em out doing what they love.

When I was in Kansas last week there were two old salts that had a limit of late season pheasent. Sure they hunted private farms but I was still impressed since I just walked over 10 miles for one bird and they had 8.
One thing they said was it's not how many fields you hit...it's how you hunt the fields that matters.

It's always nice to learn from guys like that.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/28/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Cinch
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Greatness.

cheers
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/28/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: GR Wilkins

I am hoping I was able to load this picture correctly from our hunt this past Monday north of San Angelo. Average hunter age 81, 10 coveys found, 22 bobs cleaned on Monday. Listening to these two old goats brag about shooting 1,000 percent for the day ( both went 1 for 1 in the shooting Monday!) over a nice meal Monday night was priceless. We had decent luck Tuesday and Wed. morning despite the drought like conditions. That whole country needs moisture real bad. We did not find a single covey of blues in 2.5 days of hunting. My brother went back around Thanksgiving on the same lease and found about a dozen coveys of blues so I am not sure if they just moved to a nearby ranch or went into hiding. I checked about 10 birds for eye worms and did not find any worms in the ones I cleaned. Hope to get back out again in late Feb.

Next time pose those two old farts with at least 4 good looking dogs!

cheers

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/28/18 02:17 AM

I bet they got some good ones.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/28/18 11:29 AM

Those two still keep a pretty good string Chet and over the years have owned some really good ones. Best thing is they are still looking for a better one!
Originally Posted By: Chet
I bet they got some good ones.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/29/18 02:43 AM

Awesome, keep up the hunting, it will keep you young. Forrest
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/29/18 03:42 AM

sweet!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/30/18 02:32 AM

cheers
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/31/18 08:34 AM

up
Posted By: georgia-bird-hunter

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/31/18 02:33 PM

Keep shooting!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 01/31/18 08:24 PM

Great, gives me hope.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/04/18 09:19 PM

up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/04/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Drahthaar
Awesome, keep up the hunting, it will keep you young. Forrest

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/04/18 09:54 PM

Sure don't want to high jack this tread but got to tell about and "old" friend in Kansas. Back in the day I used to run dogs with Don Gerstner. He was about 40 or so and I was a young buck. He could follow a dog on foot all day and run me right into the ground. Three years ago he had a horse wreck and broke his back. (Buy the way he raised and broke 2 time National Open Shooting Dog Champion Easy Mark) Well three years later he's 86 and working dogs again. Out of a mule? Hell no, on foot. Had a son of Millers on line that he broke and was winning AA stakes with.

He asked me to come up and run dogs with him on the ZBar ranch (Ted Turners place west of Medicine Lodge) Asked if I should bring my Mule and he said no, wanted to work them on foot. I had to turn him down cause I can't walk that much any more, so he could run me into the ground 50 years ago and still can at 86. He's a bird hunting maniac and a man's man. God bless the old hunters.

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/04/18 11:31 PM

up

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/05/18 12:21 AM

Chet nailed it on the old bird dog men like Don G. The legend on the right in my original pic Mr. Travis is 84 years young and still can get up before dawn every day and hunt all day for four days straight in some of the toughest country west Texas has to offer. I am still picking cactus spines out of my hide from my last hunt with him and I am sure he is ready to go again at a moments notice. Lace your boots up girls & boys & put em down for a hunt while you can because next year is not promised to any of us.
Posted By: Timn

Re: Two ole birdawg men - 02/05/18 12:51 AM

Glad don is still doing good, I was wondering about him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum