Texas Hunting Forum

Killed a limit

Posted By: Wacm

Killed a limit - 01/01/18 07:19 AM

My deer lease pulled a bait and switch on us. They leased to us year round. We told them we quail hunt and that was ok with them in April. Come October...yes this October he says he has leased the land to quail hunters from Arkansas for after deer season so we wouldn't be allowed to quail hunt after deer season. Soooo

i hunted it pretty hard and found this amazing section maybe 50acers of the 4000. There were 4 coveys in there..one of those had at least 40 birds in it maybe more. We found the 4 coveys and chased them around a bit. There were singles everywhere. It was easy pickings at that point. They held so well in the sage. There is a chain of ponds there but I'm not sure why so many quail wanted to be there. I felt a little guilty shooting that many. I've never tried that hard before. Felt that I should since I might only get two hunts out of the place before the Arkansas folks get it. The cover was nasty. But man the birds were so thick in there. Wish I had it for the rest of the season.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 07:30 AM

worthless

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 06:02 PM

I wish I took pics...it was dark by the time I got back to camp and the game bag was in cooler which got rocked around so bad from the rough terrain. The birds were soaked. I started setting them up and it looked awful...night pic with soaked quail.

I ended up freezing half of them. It's to much. Next time I'll stick to 6 or so. I end up taking better care of them that way. I do have half in a brine right now. Garlic Jap and salt and pepper with butter milk.

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 06:06 PM

Actually it's worth saying...I've never let them get drenched in ice water before but that was really nice for cleaning them. No feathers sticking to everything. They cleaned up fast and neatly.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 06:12 PM

Good idea, thanks for the tip!

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 06:40 PM

If you have problems with feathers while cleaning, I put my skinned and gutted birds in a bucket of cold water and swish around. Majority of the feathers will float to the top
Posted By: therancher

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 08:02 PM

They even make a bird cleaning bucket now that you attach your water hose to and it floats the feathers off in a jiffy.
Posted By: fway

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 09:06 PM

Hey Wacm I'm on a lease near Memphis. Got it for quail after deer season...first time with the outfitter and not sure he is on up and up...told me deer hunters not have bird rights...sounds like your deer lease guy! Lol. Where is your lease?
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 09:44 PM

Y’all lease it with red river boars?

Re: Killed a limit - 01/01/18 10:27 PM

Is he out of Lubbock?

Re: Killed a limit - 01/02/18 12:25 AM

It's in Turkey which is right by Memphis. Might be the same guy.

What's really bad is the lease manager asked if we wouldn't mind leaving our feeders running through quail season for the quail hunters. Maybe in Ark it's legal to bait??

Re: Killed a limit - 01/02/18 01:45 AM

Lol. That was nice of him. If it my place I'll take care of em!!!! How was the deer hunting?

Re: Killed a limit - 01/02/18 01:46 AM

There are no quail in Arkansas to bait!!!!!

Re: Killed a limit - 01/02/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
It's in Turkey which is right by Memphis. Might be the same guy.

What's really bad is the lease manager asked if we wouldn't mind leaving our feeders running through quail season for the quail hunters. Maybe in Ark it's legal to bait??

That’s a long drive from wimberly! Thought you were hunting in Rule
Posted By: DaleGribble

Re: Killed a limit - 01/03/18 04:40 PM

Did you have anything in writing about the lease going through Quail Season? I would be pretty upset if I were you

Re: Killed a limit - 01/03/18 05:32 PM

Nope different property. We didn't sign anything. It was a really good deal and tons of land for us.
The deer hunting wasn't great. I ended up shooting a few does. Biggest buck I saw was maybe 125s I don't shoot those anymore unless they are old.
I actually have two leases. The one in Rule is just for dove and quail. It's been a great lease. I have a portable cabin there and will stay as long as I can. We got the o e is Turkey can it was 2200 each for 4000 acres year round. Or so we thought. No brainer if it were true.
Posted By: KnightlingersGunDogs

Re: Killed a limit - 01/07/18 07:42 PM

food smile good eating
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Killed a limit - 01/11/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm

It's a crappy thing to ask you to feed quail that someone else is going to hunt, but it is not illegal to bait them. Quail are not *migratory* game birds.
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Killed a limit - 01/12/18 02:56 AM

I lease with red river boars for Deer. We are south of lakeview. Everything is on paper about what hunting rights we have. I wish I had the quail rights on our lease. I have quail every morning on my trail camera. I also spooked 1 or 2 conveys walking to my blind morning and evening.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum