Texas Hunting Forum

Dog Box Project

Posted By: scalebuster

Dog Box Project - 12/14/17 12:12 AM

A buddy of mine traded some dogs with a feller up north and a dog box was thrown in. He didn’t realize the whole bottom was rotted out. I bought a new 4010 trans mule last year and my custom box made for a one seat mule was 4” too wide for the trans.

We did some trading and I ended up with a great box that I have around $150 and 8 hours time in. I called Cline to see how much an aluminum bottom would cost but I wasn’t sure how it would turn out so I went with another piece of plywood. I think it’ll last forever if I keep it out of a pool of water. I’m proud of it and it’s slept 6 dogs with no problems.

Il remember when we’d load dogs in the trunk of a car and water them out of an old hubcap. My grandfather could have hunted into his eighties if Kawasaki Mules had come along years earlier.

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dog Box Project - 12/14/17 12:32 AM

Did you use treated plywood? Just clean out the bedding material if it gets wet and keep it of the ground. It should last, nice job!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Dog Box Project - 12/14/17 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Did you use treated plywood? Just clean out the bedding material if it gets wet and keep it of the ground. It should last, nice job!

Untreated plywood, but I’ve since painted it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dog Box Project - 12/14/17 01:27 AM

You did a great job. You could cut it off and set it back on the tailgate and add seats. I got mine from Kline and added seats. It has three holes. I bolt it in.

I sometimes let down the tailgate of the Gator and move the box back. I always house it with the tailgate up.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Dog Box Project - 12/14/17 03:47 PM

LOOKS GREAT!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dog Box Project - 12/18/17 12:35 PM

Good looking box. WTG.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum