Texas Hunting Forum

Trainers in TX or Oklahoma

Posted By: MI2TX

Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 02:26 AM

I have a birittany that is 7 months old. Have gotten him into about 50 pigeons and 12 pen raised quail. Have taken him on two wild bird hunts in Oklahoma as well and killed a few birds for him. I am hoping to get him into some more wild birds as well but was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on trainers in OK or TX who can get the dog some more exposure and start building a foundation for steadyness?
Posted By: Bourland

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 05:21 AM

Tim Hidalgo in Hardesty, OK is a great trainer. He also judges field trials and handles alot of trained dogs in field trials. He has done a great job for me and several of my friends. Good luck. Sounds like your pup is on the right track.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 12:50 PM

I friend of mine used Rob Martin in Wills Point (903) 312-6280 with good results.
http://www.germanbirddogs.com/training.html
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
I friend of mine used Rob Martin in Wills Point (903) 312-6280 with good results.

Rob is also a friend. He trains most of the NSTRA dogs in Texas. I'd wait until August to send the pup to any trainer, where it will be ready for next season.
Posted By: Timn

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 01:10 PM

Ronnie Smith or tom woods are both good
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/11/17 03:19 PM

Ronnie Smith would is where my dog is headed in April.

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/12/17 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Everybody having a good season so far? Birds aren’t as thick as they were last year in SW Oklahoma. Also probably at disadvantage when I hunt alone with a 7 month old pup.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/13/17 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bourland
Tim Hidalgo in Hardesty, OK is a great trainer. He also judges field trials and handles alot of trained dogs in field trials. He has done a great job for me and several of my friends. Good luck. Sounds like your pup is on the right track.

Had no idea there was one in Hardesty. So he does upland dogs I assume? I may have to check that out.

I tried to get my Brittany in with Ronnie Smith (ought to be the best) but they blew me off.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/13/17 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: danceswithquail

Rob is also a friend. He trains most of the NSTRA dogs in Texas. I'd wait until August to send the pup to any trainer, where it will be ready for next season.
this +1
Posted By: RayB

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 01:29 AM

Rob did a great job with my setter Jack
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MI2TX
I have a birittany that is 7 months old. Have gotten him into about 50 pigeons and 12 pen raised quail. Have taken him on two wild bird hunts in Oklahoma as well and killed a few birds for him. I am hoping to get him into some more wild birds as well but was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on trainers in OK or TX who can get the dog some more exposure and start building a foundation for steadyness?

It doesn’t take a genius to train a bird dog. You can do it yourself. It just takes a little time and dedication. You can save yourself a lot of change, and you’ll get a lot more satisfaction out of it. Put a whoa on that pup and he’ll steady up.

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

It doesn’t take a genius to train a bird dog. You can do it yourself. It just takes a little time and dedication. You can save yourself a lot of change, and you’ll get a lot more satisfaction out of it. Put a whoa on that pup and he’ll steady up.

I've done several. Most people want to skip the boring part. Delmar Smith said take the pup off of birds and don't put it back until it is completely broke. His wording was a little off but he nailed it.
Posted By: nak

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
Originally Posted By: Bourland

Had no idea there was one in Hardesty. So he does upland dogs I assume? I may have to check that out.

I tried to get my Brittany in with Ronnie Smith (ought to be the best) but they blew me off.

Tim is a stand-up guy. He has access to a lot of land with WILD birds. A lot of folks send their field trial dogs to him. I've hunted behind several dogs he has trained and we bought a dog from him.

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 01:26 PM

Anybody have the contact information for Tim Hidalgo? I’m gonna reach out to the all of the guys mentioned above so far to see about pricing.
Posted By: Bourland

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 02:53 PM

Tim Hidalgo
580-461-4535

Tell him Rusty referred you. He's a good guy. Straight to the point.

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/14/17 04:26 PM

Will do. Thank you.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/15/17 01:55 PM

have to be smarter than the dog

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/15/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

You also have to have a place and a few birds.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/15/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: colt45

You also have to have a place and a few birds.

Yep
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/16/17 08:57 PM

Mike and Bonnie Pirtle do a great job. I bought and had my Brittany trained by them. M&W gun dog out of Alvord Texas.
Posted By: WrecklessRanch

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/22/17 01:40 PM

What about Buck at Backyard Training Kennels in Van Alstyne? Does anyone have any experience with him?
Posted By: kindall

Re: Trainers in TX or Oklahoma - 12/23/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: WrecklessRanch
What about Buck at Backyard Training Kennels in Van Alstyne? Does anyone have any experience with him?

I've always heard good things about Buck, but don't know if he trains on wild birds.

Most people that want a lot of wild bird contact, send their dogs up north for the summer.
Its not the right time of year for that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum