Texas Hunting Forum

Place to take my son for upland birds

Posted By: jnd59

Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 05:48 PM

After a near stroke this past spring it has finally sunk into my head that I needed to stop working so much and get back to basics. With that in mind my 14 year old and I started hunting this year (I restarted but this was his first year to hunt). I've taken him for dove and more recently we've put out the decoys and harassed some ducks. He's done well with gun handling and I think he is ready to try some upland hunting. I don't have a dog anymore and while I prefer to hunt wild birds I'm not opposed to a game ranch for his first hunt. I've hunted some preserve birds that were just dumber than rocks and some that had done a better job of figuring it out but that was many years ago. Since he is new, I think a hunt with just the two of us would be the best way to introduce him. Any suggestions? We live west of the metro mess.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 06:19 PM

Depending on budget, might look at Rough Creek (big budget) or Joshua Creek (pretty big budget) for birds that are pretty jumpy as far as pen birds go. I have a buddy that took his son several times to Flying P Outdoors near Hico when he was in that 10/11 yr old range to get him used to birds taking off, etc. and its going to be more reasonable.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 06:39 PM

Location?

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Location?

2 hours from Fort Worth would be our driving range. Three if we do an all day hunt. Thxs

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
Depending on budget, might look at Rough Creek (big budget) or Joshua Creek (pretty big budget) for birds that are pretty jumpy as far as pen birds go. I have a buddy that took his son several times to Flying P Outdoors near Hico when he was in that 10/11 yr old range to get him used to birds taking off, etc. and its going to be more reasonable.

Thanks, I will check those out.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 08:13 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6980174/The_Prairie's_End_hunt_Club_hu#Post6980174
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 09:22 PM

Since you are getting him started, I would recommend released birds.

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/05/17 11:47 PM

Thanks to all. I will check those out
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/06/17 12:47 AM

This! Was just there Saturday and can't recommend them enough. Perfect for what you are looking for. Gainesville Texas straight up 35. If you want to try it out give Joe Enderby a call at 972-816-0427. Visit his website at www.TexasBirdHunt.com
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/06/17 12:32 PM

Flying P closed about two years ago.

Might check Upland Bird Country near Corsicana, it's fairly affordable.
Rough Creek Lodge near Glen Rose if you're flush.

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/06/17 01:08 PM

Thanks. I hunted Santa Anna About 15 years ago. Is it still open?
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/06/17 02:41 PM

You might check us out and our birds get good reviews. Very reasonably priced and very youth oriented. 35 miles east of Dallas. Great dogs as well.
Posted By: gauthement

Re: Place to take my son for upland birds - 12/06/17 11:50 PM

Hidden Lakes, Yantis,TX
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum