Texas Hunting Forum

Distance apart?

Posted By: TruckMan66

Distance apart? - 11/21/17 04:56 AM

Hey y'all. Got a question. How far apart are you from your hunting buddy when you are trying to walk up bobwhite quail? I always figured about 10 yards or so. Can you be farther if you have a dog?
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Distance apart? - 11/21/17 03:02 PM

We just follow the dog. She finds the birds and we walk in about 10 yards on either side of the dog usually. There is always trees to deal with and that calls for unique circumstances sometimes
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Distance apart? - 11/21/17 03:38 PM

If I were not hunting with a dog I'd be not more then 20 yards apart cause I've seen then run around people pretty easy. Inside 20 yards they usually get up or at lease give they're presence away with peeps and motion.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Distance apart? - 11/21/17 03:48 PM

never thought about it--really depends on the cover. I'd say that more than 10 yards apart, you are likely to walk past most birds. After a flush it is not uncommon to walk past birds you watched down. Usually when I walk the distance from my partner is dictated by terrain and safety. The farther apart you are the more likely you are to not see somebody on a covey rise. Remember Dick Cheney?
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Distance apart? - 11/22/17 12:14 AM

Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum