Texas Hunting Forum

Skid Plate / Vest?

Posted By: Anonymous

Skid Plate / Vest? - 10/30/17 01:36 PM

Thoughts on skid plates?

My pup's chest and belly got tore up by greenbrier while training in a creek bottom this weekend. She was running wide open when she could and I was wondering if she will figure out to slow down as she gets older and wiser or should I invest in a skid plate or some type of dog vest for her when hunting stubble fields or heavy cover?

Posted By: Charlie Tuna

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 10/30/17 02:50 PM

We purchased the Browning Chest protector from Cabela's for a quail hunt at Chaparral WMA for our GSP, Whiskey. It did the job and Whiskey did not seem to be bothered wearing it, but when it comes to hunting you could probably strap a lead weight behind her and see would not be phased. Another nice feature is that is have reflective material built into it, so spotting her at camp during the nice was very easy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BROWNING-FULL-COVERAGE-TECH-SAFETY-VEST/2582375.uts?slotId=1

Posted By: Tedmatthews

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/07/17 09:24 PM

I bought a chest protector, from Gun Dog Supply. It is open on top, with straps. It works great.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/08/17 04:10 AM

Some places like in sage it is a must. I also use one when hunting public areas shared with hog hunters. From a distance seen moving through the deep woods without it a Vizsla could look like a hog. Mine I think is just the Cabelas house brand. Dog could care less with it on or not.

Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/08/17 03:09 PM

I use one most of the time. Have to be careful, though, when it's hot. Those vests insulate and keep warm the very area that needs to be kept cool.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/08/17 09:19 PM

All but scars now, ordered a vest from Cabalas. Thanks for the info.

Posted By: Mundo

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/09/17 04:35 AM

They can be hot but they work. One drawback tho is that when you run a dog that has been wearing a protector without one they may not be as cautious about all that scratchy chit.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/09/17 02:09 PM

milos stalks can be bad also
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/12/17 01:48 PM

I got the Mendota skid plate form gun dog supply. Pretty happy with it so far.. But skid plates do come with their own problems (they can rub, direct sticks into the dog, etc.)
Posted By: tigger

Re: Skid Plate / Vest? - 11/13/17 12:58 AM

Breeding not designed for the job
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum