Texas Hunting Forum

Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars

Posted By: Michael Wilson

Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/03/17 02:57 AM

Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars? I have a Garmin training collar that I have used for a couple of years. While I'm not expecting a lot just wondering if anyone has tried and of the smart phone collars and if so what did you think? Thanks
Posted By: Whoa

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/03/17 04:16 PM

I haven't heard anything about smart phone tracking collar.
Where do you find them?

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/03/17 08:25 PM

Something popped up on Facebook about it one day. Whistle 3
GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor. I just don't have any idea if it would really work or not. Its about 50 bucks plus a monthly service fee. I just checked the subscription is 8 dollars a month.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/03/17 08:41 PM

Gotta have phone service for it to work. Would be great to have for home but wouldn't cut it (for me) for hunting.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/04/17 10:57 AM

Where I do most of my hunting the only reason I carry a cell phone it in case I want to take a picture or know what time it is. GPS equipment is the only way for me.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/04/17 01:23 PM

I got one for Christmas. I guess I should open the box at least. It looks like something that would go on a $hite@ter house dog non hunting breed.
My wife keeps asking me if I've used it yet. She'd kill me and f she knew I just ordered a Garmen Alpha.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/04/17 09:12 PM

They advertise them on the Dr. Laura radio show,,, makes me think its not made for hunting.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/05/17 03:02 PM

I have a Dogtra one, but to be honest I've only played with it once last season.
If I hadn't used a Garmin in the past, I would probably like it.
It has up to a 9 mile range on the GPS, and ecollar. Although I cant see a reason to ever nick a dog that 9 miles away. I need to pull it out, and play with it a little more. Then decide if I'm going to keep it.
http://www.dogtrainerstore.com/agm-pathfinder.html#.WdZIWFtSwdU
Posted By: Pjess1969

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/07/17 05:57 PM

I have had the whistle 3 for about a week. I bought it so I can find my 1 year old when she gets out of the fence. it works pretty good but when tracking the dog update rates are pretty slow. Good enough for me because i know which way to go to get the dog back. I don't think it would do to good if you were trying to hunt with it.

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/07/17 07:53 PM

Thank Pjess that is what I was wanting to know. I didn't think it would work but just wanted to hear from someone who had tried one.
Posted By: nak

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/08/17 03:35 AM

I bought a Whistle 3...not for tracking in the field, but just in case my Brittany pup escaped the yard while we were at work or strayed from the training field.

P O S

Battery life was unpredictable abd it never made a full week. It repeatedly reported false alarms that he had left the yard (it talks to your home WiFi router, when available). It locked up several times. Even when working properly, a fully charged battery was good for less than 8 hours when away from the home WiFi network. The connection to the collar is with two silicon rubber bungle type straps, anything it hangs on will pull it free from the color.

After a lot of calls and emails to support, I made sure it went back to the before the 30 days were up.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/09/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: kindall
I
It has up to a 9 mile range on the GPS, and ecollar. Although I cant see a reason to ever nick a dog that 9 miles away.
http://www.dogtrainerstore.com/agm-pathfinder.html#.WdZIWFtSwdU

No there isn't, but you can teach a dog to recall on the tone or the vibration. Also, you can give them low level stimulation when they turn and go the wrong way on recall. Ideally, rather than nick you can get the dog to respond to a very low level (one on constant). At this level the stimulation is just annoying and most dogs if worked with enough will respond to it. I never nick--I prefer the lowest possible constant stimulation that the dog will respond to. It is much easier on the dog and you don't get a collar shy dog ( my dogs want you to put the collar on because they associate with hunting and a good time). The only collar shy dogs I have owned were messed up by someone else. A collar shy dog can be almost as difficult as a blinker -- they have learned that by refusing to hunt they can probably hunt without a collar and do what they want.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Has anyone tried any of the smart phone tracking collars - 10/10/17 10:07 AM

I have one I put on Jenny when we hunt at the farm. Whistle 2.

It is not used for hunting purposes at all. Simply a fail-safe in the unlikely event she gets lost. (Highly unlikely as she hunts close-in. Her "locater" is very high tech - a bell. smile )

I have tested it a few times while we are out. It works for what it is - inexpensive peace of mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum