Texas Hunting Forum

Woodcock hunting

Posted By: BANDIT_DOC

Woodcock hunting - 09/28/17 01:35 AM

I know woodcock is a migratory bird but I figured it would gain more traction in this section. Does anyone have any experience with these in TX? I just came home from MN and man we had a great time on them. Im interested in going here in Texas and am looking for some distance and direction.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Woodcock hunting - 09/28/17 04:05 AM

you need to be way east Im pretty sure. maybe north east tx. Nogalles prairie might chime in. he's on here quite a bit and hunts them.

goodluck
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Woodcock hunting - 09/28/17 09:17 AM

They are a best kept secret down here.
The first ones usually start arriving in late October and the real numbers start around Thanksgiving. By hunting season (usually 12/18 - 1/31) they are here in good numbers east of the Trinity river.
I hunt the Davy Crockett National Forest but the Sam Houston National Forest and Sabine National Forest are good too.
They are where you find them but yaupon thickets, 3-5 year cutover land, canebrakes, and along drainages have always been good for me.
Limit is 3 per day.
A good dog makes all the difference in hunting them. Hard, hard to walk them up.
Good luck!

Posted By: BANDIT_DOC

Re: Woodcock hunting - 09/28/17 07:23 PM

Great! Thank you for the pointers. I'm going to give it a shot this year for sure. It sounds like exactly the kind of terrain we were hunting them in up in the North woods. We were in 3-5 year old popple over pretty thick rasberry in places.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Woodcock hunting - 09/28/17 07:58 PM

Your country is a little more picturesque than mine. smile
Posted By: machine73

Re: Woodcock hunting - 09/29/17 08:22 PM

I really want to hunt these birds this year, but no dog and have tried it before.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum