Texas Hunting Forum

NorthTexasGameHunts.com???

Posted By: BirdDog66

NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 04:20 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Rick at northtexashunts.com? Seems like a decent program for self-guided wild quail but I cannot find any mention of this outfitter on the web or any forums. In a world of 50% deposits and 100% pay before you go, I like to get a few reviews before I start sending checks. Any info would be appreciated.
Posted By: nate33

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 05:32 PM

northtexashunts.com--- all I got was an advertisement for go-daddy. Here is the issue with self guided quail hunts ------ the hunters kill every bird they can find--trying to get their money's worth-- if it is my lease we preserve the birds because we have to hunt them for 3 months. A guided quail hunt normally only lets you shoot 3 or 4 birds out of a covey and they move on ( if you knock one down and cant find it, it still counts). Normally by the end of Nov there basically arent' any birds left to hunt on a self guided ranch. A Jan or Feb hunt I can pretty much guarantee you will see no birds. And very few in Dec.
He has no references, no web site, how do you know he has hunting rights to the land??

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 07:20 PM

The URL is actually www.northtexasgamehunts.com

I understand the issues with self guided but we do not have access to any leased land and we just want to hunt our dogs. The kill is almost irrelevant as a pile of picks of the dogs on point is priceless. This place does not allow quail hunting until January (1/1-2/25). He says this is so that all of the juvenile birds have more time to mature but I guess it could mean that someone else hunts the first part of the season? I was hoping to find someone that used them before to get a review. He gave me one past customer to call and he had nothing but good things to say but the name and number did come from the outfitter.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 08:31 PM

Sounds reasonable to me.
Posted By: nate33

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 10:35 PM

the juvenile birds have more time to mature??? You buying that?
wait till Jan and ask if you can go out and preview the land ----- that would be my advice.

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 11:33 PM

Location, location, location. It's a full days drive for me.
Posted By: tigger

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 11:56 PM

It sure sounds like an after deer season exercise. To much can happen between now and 1-1-18
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/19/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BirdDog66
The URL is actually www.northtexasgamehunts.com

I understand the issues with self guided but we do not have access to any leased land and we just want to hunt our dogs. The kill is almost irrelevant as a pile of picks of the dogs on point is priceless. This place does not allow quail hunting until January (1/1-2/25). He says this is so that all of the juvenile birds have more time to mature but I guess it could mean that someone else hunts the first part of the season? I was hoping to find someone that used them before to get a review. He gave me one past customer to call and he had nothing but good things to say but the name and number did come from the outfitter.

That's all bullsht, about letting the quail mature. They don't want quail hunters until they fleece the deer hunters. I didn't see how much property they have but I'm sure you'll have the first shot at the birds if you book after the closing weekend of deer season and want to pay those prices.

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 12:34 AM

Three nights in the house is worth something, but you still have to have quail. It's a day lease. I never committed or paid for te second day in advance.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 12:40 AM

Website says 5k acres
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 04:12 PM

every time I bought a pig n a poke it turned to be a fat girl banana
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 04:40 PM

State land is a blessing. Go where the other people are not! Matador is something like 28,000 acres. Them folks that hunt that place never travel to the back country.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
State land is a blessing. Go where the other people are not! Matador is something like 28,000 acres. Them folks that hunt that place never travel to the back country.

That's pretty much what 90% of the hunters think and do. Can't tell you how many times I've heard people say to go to the back or way off the unbeaten paths to find birds.

I don't think there is a place on the Matador that doesn't get pounded. They certainly didn't kill 10,000+ birds at the front of it last year.
Posted By: crash519

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/20/17 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CinchMan
Originally Posted By: Catch Dog

That's pretty much what 90% of the hunters think and do. Can't tell you how many times I've heard people say to go to the back or way off the unbeaten paths to find birds.

I don't think there is a place on the Matador that doesn't get pounded. They certainly didn't kill 10,000+ birds at the front of it last year.

I completely agree. When you don't have a lease though, that place is about the only option. I hit it once a week when it's open and put in a lot of miles! Hunted the last day they were open last year and moved birds that had never been hunted. We were a long ways back in there. You have to carry water for you and your dogs or you are screwed.

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/21/17 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the input! I think I may call this a recon mission and pay for the hunt but also do a lot of research and looking around while we are there to see if the area has something better to offer for next year.

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/21/17 02:27 PM

BTW Tigger - I do appreciate the white bird dogs but this one is my latest and while she is obviously not white, she is one of the best dogs I have every been around/

Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/21/17 03:05 PM

Is that a GSP ^^^^^^^^^ ? Good looking dog !

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/21/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BirdDog66
BTW Tigger - I do appreciate the white bird dogs but this one is my latest and while she is obviously not white, she is one of the best dogs I have every been around/

Enter her in a NSTRA trial. You get to shoot birds there. It's fun.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/21/17 07:58 PM

Good looking dog. How old is she?

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/22/17 07:41 PM

She is a 3 year old GSP.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: NorthTexasGameHunts.com??? - 09/24/17 06:40 PM

We do self guided preserve hunts. Mature birds and lots of action if we are not too far from you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum