Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Gaiters or Chaps

Posted By: hunterdrake

Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 12:32 AM

My calves are too big for most snake boots(20 inches). I am looking at turtleskin gaiters and chaps. I would like the gaiters if they would stay in place. Anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 01:29 AM

I don't wear either. I'm never afraid of rattlesnakes until I see one. Then, I shoot my way back to my truck and go home.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:02 AM

I have never heard of a bird hunter that was bitten my a snake ---- I vote with Bill.
Posted By: Whoa

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:17 AM

Turtleskin gators will stay up.I have wore them every since they came out. What ten yrs maybe.

Never needed them for a snake but they work on all the other sharp pointed objects you encounter.

And will keep you dry...
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 03:37 AM

Always used to wear my Teny Lama's , no joke spelling is correct, I still have two pairs.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooker
Always used to wear my Teny Lama's , no joke spelling is correct, I still have two pairs.
what are Teny Lama's
Posted By: RayB

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:19 PM

Sort of like 4 wheel drive, better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:26 PM

Turtleskin gaiter tend to ride up a little leaving the top of your foot exposed if you have a cloth tongue in your boot.

My lease partner had a snake hit him above where the top of turtle skin gaiters would end.
He had on Texas Armour leggings and sed they stopped the bite but it felt like someone hit him in the back of his calf with a baseball bat.
Posted By: TX_Birddog1L

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:26 PM

I've owned both...they both have their positives and negatives:

Turtle-skin Chaps:
most protection, obviously
protection from thorns and briars as well
somewhat reduced mobility
can get pretty hot at times
(I often wear shorts under mine to help stay cool and so I can lift my legs high enough to climb a fence, walk through tall/thick grass, run for my life, etc...)
Tip: buy the huskie version so you have more room in the thigh area which improves air circulation and mobility

Gaiters (I have not owned the turtle-skin gaiters):
Less protection
Not much help against briars/thorns
improved mobility
better for warmer weather hunts (although your calves will still be quite hot)

Overall:
They say it takes a large rattler to strike above the knee, and I don't dispute that, but sometimes that rattler is sunning on the top of grass clumps and rock ledges that elevates the snake up to a foot off the ground...the chaps protect all the way tot the top of the thigh...the chaps also double as great thorn and briar protection, so if you are going to go with just one the chaps would be my suggestion...
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 02:29 PM

I'll take my chances with the snakes before I'll ever wear anything that hot again. They're not worth it to me.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 07:44 PM

King Ranch Saddle Shop has acquired the old Texas Armour legging pattern.
Their web site is down now but should come back up later. Their legging doesn't fit as tight as the turtle skin gaiter but they are higher. They offer as much protection as most chaps as they come up above the knee. (Most snake chaps only have protective material up to about the knee.) Turtle skin used to make a chap that was complete turtle skin and one that only offered knee protection.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 08:25 PM

Think I have the Turtle skins that protect to the knee. Not very heavy or hot.
Posted By: Timn

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/18/17 10:14 PM

I have had two strokes aerotic valve replacement and I hate wearing hot chaps but I am taking no chances. If I get hit I don't think it would be a good outcome.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/21/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Whoa
Turtleskin gators will stay up.I have wore them every since they came out. What ten yrs maybe.

Never needed them for a snake but they work on all the other sharp pointed objects you encounter.

And will keep you dry...

The dry thing is real important to me, that and the cactus thing.
I've had the Turtleskins for several years.

But...I've never seen a snake while quail hunting.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/24/17 11:54 PM

found a little rattlesnake at our place near the water valve by the cabin when we arrived at 2 AM Sat AM.... Be careful. For now on, I'm wearing snake boots upon arrival!
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/25/17 03:32 AM

I wore a pair of Turtleskin gaiters until they wore out. I never did see the protection you fellows talk about against cactus and thorns. Mine did not turn prickly pear, so I always wondered how they would do against snake fangs. I wear Danner Laceup snakeboots. As comfortable a snakeboot as I have found (for me, my big calves, and spayed out feet). On my second pair.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/28/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Hooker

Had a pair once. Have no idea what happened to them. They were comfortable.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/28/17 01:50 PM

Wow I'm shocked how many of you don't wear snake protection. I guess I'm paranoid. I've seen rattlers while quail hunting twice. Once after a morning hunt. We were so far away from the rig that by the time we got back it was pretty hot. Snake crossed the dirt path right in front of us.

Another time was the opener last season. It was pretty warm out. That first evening we were headed back and saw one just sitting pretty on top of the grass catching the last bit of sun. Eww

I wear Chippewa boots. They improves them cause they used to be to small up top but now they work for me. I changed the insoles and they are great. I can walk all day in them. Anything colder then 50 degrees I switch to my Danner sharp tails.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 09/28/17 01:56 PM

When I took my dog for snake training the guy had lots of snakes in his garage. We talked about how they strike. They almost always hit what's moving which is usually your feet and not up high. He stood next to one and moved his knee and,pow it struck his upper leg.
I guess after watching that I'm definitely wearing my boots.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Snake Gaiters or Chaps - 10/01/17 08:39 PM

Last year was especially bad for rattlebugs around one of the hunting camps we work out of, I had a dog hit, and a cowboy who works as a hunting guide, told me of a snake striking at, and barely missing his crotch last season. Said he was planning on abandoning his snakeboots for chaps this quail season.

BTW: Pete, a big male pointer who was bit above the right eye, recovered and was back to his old self in short order.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum