Texas Hunting Forum

Looked at my lease

Posted By: Timn

Looked at my lease - 08/30/17 02:57 PM

I drove to childress and rode over the lease boy there is a lot of cover. Birds are going to be hard to find for a while. The bad sign is we didn't see any birds but it was near 90 and with all the cover they would be hard to find. Waiting on cold weather to drive those snakes in the ground.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/30/17 04:09 PM

Game Warden office says there was a huge die-off around Childress of quail. They are labeling the area as non huntable.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/30/17 04:11 PM

Bummer. What was the cause?
Posted By: Timn

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/30/17 05:17 PM

I hope not
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/30/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: nate33
Game Warden office says there was a huge die-off around Childress of quail. They are labeling the area as non huntable.

bs
Posted By: nate33

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/31/17 03:26 AM

JUST KIDDING
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/31/17 11:30 AM

Little late for April fools jokes
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Looked at my lease - 08/31/17 04:51 PM

That stuff is not the least bit funny and you will have to replace the leather in my chair when I clinched up reading that horrible comment.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/03/17 09:14 PM

Yes stay away from any public land in that area this year. You'll be wasting time. I hear the rattle snake numbers have doubled due to the African mamba strain. They love cold weather.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/03/17 11:18 PM

Don't listen to him. I know a Hays Co. sheriffs detective, he says Wimberley is devil worship central in TX scared
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/08/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Don't listen to him. I know a Hays Co. sheriffs detective, he says Wimberley is devil worship central in TX scared

Ewwl. Man Wimberley is like a slice of heaven. I will say I'm getting tired of all these Califorianians and Houston retirees moving here and trying to change it and make it into where they are from. That's a whole different story.

On the quail subject I'd like to say... I have two leases. One in Rule and one just outside of Turkey which is very close to Childress. I was at both last week and both were puddled up and lots and lots of growth. The cows are not keeping up with it thank god. I'd say my lease in Rule has more quail but both are great. No African mamba rattlers spotted so far.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/09/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Ewwl. Man Wimberley is like a slice of heaven. I will say I'm getting tired of all these Califorianians and Houston retirees moving here and trying to change it and make it into where they are from. That's a whole different story.

On the quail subject I'd like to say... I have two leases. One in Rule and one just outside of Turkey which is very close to Childress. I was at both last week and both were puddled up and lots and lots of growth. The cows are not keeping up with it thank god. I'd say my lease in Rule has more quail but both are great. No African mamba rattlers spotted so far.

Now, which of us is doing the work of keeping new people out? roflmao
Posted By: crash519

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/14/17 04:32 PM

Early spring rains then a long period of dry weather wasn't conducive to good hatches or multiple. Numbers should still be a lot better than 3-4 yrs ago, but nothing close to the last 2. That's around the Childress area though. Other parts of the state are reporting different results.
Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/15/17 11:56 AM

I hunt in Clarendon just north if you. Only seen one covey of quail the last few times I was out and not hearing them being vocal in the mornings or evenings. Last year they were every where and I'm not seeing that this year. Dove on the other hand are good and daily limits are normal in the afternoon. Mornings it seems they are done flying right after sunup. Evenings are sparodic until it hits 7:00pm then its game on. A few years ago was the best I've seen for dove and although it's not as good as it was then there are still plenty in the area.
Posted By: Slim

Re: Looked at my lease - 09/16/17 03:09 PM

I was out filling feeders earlier this week at my place just north of Paducah and in a span of about 30 minutes I scared up 2 large coveys. Our place isn't all that big. But, 2 coveys in 30 mins sounds pretty good to me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum