Texas Hunting Forum

First year

Posted By: kindall

First year - 08/07/17 06:52 PM

without a pointing dog.
Fourteen months ago we lost Lucy, and July 1st we had to put Cash to sleep.
Think I'm just going to take this season off. Even if I got a new pup, they wouldn't be ready til next year. Its going to feel strange not being in the field.
Posted By: Chet

Re: First year - 08/07/17 07:12 PM

Hate to hear that, find some 4-6 month old pups and get the one that likes folks. You will bond in a hurry and he'll be just right to bump and chase west Texas quail. There should be a bird dog support group we could call when things go south wink

Re: First year - 08/07/17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
There should be a bird dog support group we could call when things go south wink

Ain't that the truth.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: First year - 08/07/17 07:39 PM

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I must say my dog was born late September. I kept her training simple. Just needed her to whoa. Then did a few sessions of remote box. Then a few pen raised hunts. Finally right to wild birds. Kept her on a check cord and hunted her without high expectations but it went really well. We hunted January and February and had a great short season. I think it's worth a try if you can find the right pups. Won't hurt to look.
Best of luck!! My heart goes out to you knowing how I feel about my dog.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: First year - 08/08/17 03:30 AM

Dangit kindall. Sorry to hear that. Time to reload. I know the feeling.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: First year - 08/08/17 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear that kindall
Posted By: usmc826

Re: First year - 08/08/17 06:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear. I picked my new pup pup in September last year. Just took him to Nebraska for the navhda test. He got a 112 prize 1. But sending back to the kennels to finish him off. The plan on getting him out a lot this year. So if you want a hunting buddy with a new dog. I'm always game.

Re: First year - 08/08/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: usmc826
I'm sorry to hear. I picked my new pup pup in September last year. Just took him to Nebraska for the navhda test. He got a 112 prize 1. But sending back to the kennels to finish him off. The plan on getting him out a lot this year. So if you want a hunting buddy with a new dog. I'm always game.

Thanks for the offer.
The land I have permission to hunt is private, and I seldom get to bring guests.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: First year - 08/09/17 12:39 PM

It sucks when you have got to let a good dog go, been 10 years for me and I still don't have a hunting dog.
Posted By: RayB

Re: First year - 08/09/17 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Heath
It sucks when you have got to let a good dog go, been 10 years for me and I still don't have a hunting dog.

The best fix for the pain of the loss is a puppy

Re: First year - 08/09/17 03:59 PM

I've just been fostering dogs since I lost Lucy, but I still had Cash to hunt over.
The Vizsla rescue contacted me yesterday, wanting to know if I was interested in fostering a dog that has some hunt training. I said yes, and will just have to see how much he knows.
I hunted everything that flies with Cash, and doubt this dog will be anything like that.
But he is at least not gun shy, so I have something to work with.

One day I will get a new puppy, but I'm willing to wait until the right breeding comes along.
Posted By: tigger

Re: First year - 08/10/17 08:28 PM

Good look with the knew dog and so sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: First year - 08/11/17 12:06 AM

Kindall, sorry for your loss. I know what that is like..... on the other hand congrats on the new Visla. I have never hunted with a visla but I like the versatiles I have hunted.

Re: First year - 08/11/17 03:16 AM

Smokey Bear
He won't be mine, I will only be fostering him.
I've been told he suffers from severe separation anxiety. So will likely be with me for months.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: First year - 08/11/17 12:03 PM

good for both of you
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: First year - 08/11/17 02:18 PM

So how does it work? if it turns out he has some talent will you be able to keep him? The timing seems like good karma for you both. The most instinctive dog I have owned was a freebie when I was a teen. A pointer/setter mix the locals called a "dropper". Watching him work a runner was a thing of beauty. When the birds ran he would arc out in front of them and put them between him and me, then usually pin them PDQ. Sure wish I could figure a way to train that.....

Re: First year - 08/11/17 02:37 PM

If I decided I wanted to keep him, I could pay a fee and adopt the dog. Providing I did so before someone else was approved.
I've fostered 6 dogs over the past year. I've liked them all, but didn't consider keeping them. Maybe this one will be different.
Posted By: RayB

Re: First year - 08/11/17 02:43 PM

Isn't Vizsla the Hungarian word for separation anxiety? roflmao

Re: First year - 08/12/17 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Isn't Vizsla the Hungarian word for separation anxiety? roflmao

When you work with rescue dogs, there are days it feels like it.
I haven't seen the problem in my own dogs.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: First year - 08/15/17 04:02 AM

clap

Re: First year - 08/18/17 09:24 PM

Picked him up today. Going to give him a few days to settle in,and then see what he knows.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: First year - 08/19/17 12:36 AM

Fingers crossed for ya.

Re: First year - 09/02/17 09:12 PM

He likes gunfire, and marked, and retrieved dove. Still have to see if he has any training on quail. But looks like I've got a dog I can work with.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum