Texas Hunting Forum

SW Kansas walk in

Posted By: whiteowl

SW Kansas walk in - 11/29/15 11:30 PM

I am looking at the Kansas hunting atlas and trying to figure out where I want to go. Looking mainly for pheasants and would just be me and one dog. I have hunted the Lacrosse area as well as around Hugoton. Leaning towards hunting the areas between Liberal and Hugoton but I see some good size areas around Mead. Is anyone familiar with the Mead area? Any better suggestions?
Posted By: tick-magnet

Re: SW Kansas walk in - 11/30/15 04:40 PM

Have not hunted that area in three years but my experience up to then was that the Mead area is kind of sparse for Pheasant cover. Hugoton was always better but has less WHA's now than in the past. Our best luck was just North of Liberal and West to almost Rolla. But South of Hugoton was the best area overall.
However, the bird population in that area was severely affected by the drought and doesn't seem to have recovered as well as the south central area of Kansas. The Oklahoma wildlife dept. also reports better populations in the north central area of Oklahoma. So you might think of moving a little east where there are better reports of bird populations.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: SW Kansas walk in - 12/01/15 04:37 PM

If you're hunting solo most large tract wiha's will be probably a little difficult to cover. I hunted central Kansas for 10 years solo, or with my pops. Find wiha's designated for waterfowl also, most will contain some sort of water which will define the cover much more than a section of crp. much easier to kick a couple roosters out of a cattail clump or smartweed pile than chase them around the prairie all day. good luck up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum