Texas Hunting Forum

What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe?

Posted By: pharmvet

What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/26/15 02:26 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered. If so, please direct me to thread.

I would like to hear your favorite quail recipes, cooking methods, tips, advice, secrets etc. thanks!!!!
Posted By: kindall

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/26/15 03:16 AM

Here's a couple with pictures included

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._Recipes#UNREAD
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/26/15 12:04 PM

quote=bill oxner]I tried to pan fry quail for several years. The breast never came out right because they have three sices, and the bones prohibited the flour from properly coating. A friend and I had an 840 quail year, so I had more than I knew what to do with them. I taught myself to butterfly the quail. I've show this to lots of people since, and it's the only way they cook their quail anymore.

The first and most important step is to cut off the ball and socket joints like this;

Next you run your sissors under the rib cage on each side.

Then you clip off the sternum.

Pull the bones over the front of the quail breast, and it's a done deal.

You have a butterflied quail breast which will pan fry in less than 3 minutes on each side. Use your pan drippings for cream gravy. You don't have to use an egg wash if you bread them 30 minutes or so before you fry them. The breading will get gummy, and they'll come out crisp.

I've deep fried them for a field trial crowd, but I serve those with french fries and store bought breaded okra.
Posted By: Colinus virginianus

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/26/15 12:39 PM

If I was lined up in front of a firing squad and offered a last meal, it would be bacon wrapped quail grilled over mesquite coals. I remove the backbone when I clean my birds. Get pickled jalapenos - the crunchy kind that come in a jar (Marzetti's - sp?) and drain them. Put some in the cavity and put one on each side of the breast - pull the leg up against the jalapeno's next to the breast and wrap with bacon. I use thick cut peppered bacon split down the middle lengthwise - you will have a long piece but only half as wide as it was. Wrap around the bird and secure with toothpicks. Marinate in Yoshida gourmet sauce - if you don't do this step you are missing out on one of the good things life has to offer. Marinate for about two hours and put on the grill - when you go to turn the birds over on the grill dip them back into the marinade and put them back onto the grill. I recommend only using this recipe in a secure area because when the neighbors catch a whiff of what you are cooking they will show up at the door...
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 10:53 AM

dipped in beer batter, deep fried
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

^^^this^^^

And when they float, they're done!
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 03:02 PM

Here's a use for leftover dressing! Make patty, put it on waffle iron. Quail & gravy. Leftover cranberry sauce. Butter syrup, fried eggs. What ever fires yer rocket. Savory waffle is pretty tasty change. food
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Colinus virginianus
If I was lined up in front of a firing squad and offered a last meal, it would be bacon wrapped quail grilled over mesquite coals. I remove the backbone when I clean my birds. Get pickled jalapenos - the crunchy kind that come in a jar (Marzetti's - sp?) and drain them. Put some in the cavity and put one on each side of the breast - pull the leg up against the jalapeno's next to the breast and wrap with bacon. I use thick cut peppered bacon split down the middle lengthwise - you will have a long piece but only half as wide as it was. Wrap around the bird and secure with toothpicks. Marinate in Yoshida gourmet sauce - if you don't do this step you are missing out on one of the good things life has to offer. Marinate for about two hours and put on the grill - when you go to turn the birds over on the grill dip them back into the marinade and put them back onto the grill. I recommend only using this recipe in a secure area because when the neighbors catch a whiff of what you are cooking they will show up at the door...

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only difference I use is that I season with kosher salt and poultry season and then when the quail is about 75% cooked on the mesquite-fired grill, I baste them with a rasberry chipotle sauce. OMG! They are unbelievable! Yes, this can be my last dying meal.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:09 PM

If I freeze a whole bird, feathers on, will it be good to clean and eat in a few days?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:13 PM

I fry the runners first and eat on them while I'm frying the breasts. Make gravy and pour it over white bread.

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
If I freeze a whole bird, feathers on, will it be good to clean and eat in a few days?

Why would you want to do that?

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

Why would you want to do that?

Because I'm at a hotel without a freezer, and it's 10 degrees outside. Figured I'd rather have whole birds outside freezing than just the meat. If it's safe.

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:33 PM

I would think they'd be fine. I'd clean them, bag them in water, and let them freeze outside like that.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:39 PM

I usually have a few of this & that in my freezer so here is a "rough" recipe of mine. I put about 6 quail & 6 doves in a crock pot. Throw in some onion garlic & a jalapeno. Then pour in my favorite(available sauce) with some water or chicken broth to cover. Slow cook until tender but it is easy to over-do so be careful & check often or you'll end up with mush full of tiny bones!...LOL
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 08:59 PM

Should be fine. What did you shoot?

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/27/15 09:10 PM

This one is getting mounted

And this little guy so far. We're taking a food break before heading out again.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 11/28/15 02:43 PM

1. Fried: Breaded and fried like chicken. Mashed potatoes, peppers...

2. Italian: De-breast them, roll the breast in panke bread crumbs. Pan fry. Heat your favorite marinara sauce and angel hair pasta.
Pasta, breast filets, sauce. Add mozzarella and garlic bread.

3. Quail stew: Boil the birds and remove the meat from the bones.
Use your favorite stew recipe, onions, carrots, potatoes, corn, whatever you like. We also add a little bit of rosemary to the stew.
Serve with hot buttered corn bread.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? - 12/01/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Kahuna
Originally Posted By: colt45

^^^this^^^

And when they float, they're done!
you got it, I got this tip 48 yrs ago
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum