Texas Hunting Forum

Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm?

Posted By: KingwoodCat

Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/21/15 09:16 PM

Just to be on the safe side, I bought a case of each for opening day in South Dakota...
Less than 2 months away...whoooo hooo!!!
Me, my two Sons, and a friend of the Oldest.....Shattuck Hunting in Gregory...Can't wait!
Posted By: blanked

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/22/15 08:29 PM

Are you the same king wood cat from the fishing forum. Be careful or that bass cat will be parked half the year while you take up bird hunting with dogs
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/23/15 12:31 AM

I like the Golden Pheasant loads myself, but pattern both in your guns.
Posted By: Panhandle Slim

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/23/15 05:16 AM

Golden Pheasant since you can get them in 16ga. and 28ga. But I do shoot PS 5's in my 12
Posted By: rdh1

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/24/15 01:28 PM

Golden Pheasant GPX #5 the only shell I shoot
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/24/15 02:02 PM

Dang, I must be missing something but not birds. Shot a ton of pheasant with HB Winchester #5 in my 12 and 20 and #6 in the 16's
Posted By: CSF

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/24/15 05:12 PM

I prefer Golden pheasant in lead, tungsten for non-tox. Make sure you know what type of load is allowed in the fields you'll be hunting. good luck.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/25/15 07:15 AM

Herters $59 a case, nr 5 or 4 with black duck patternmaster is pretty darn good.
On very windy days, goose choke.
Posted By: kgbill

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/26/15 04:01 AM

I have had great results with kent fastlead, but i think you cant go wrong with any old #5's and an ic choke.
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 08/30/15 05:05 AM

Man, all these so called "specific" loads now a days. Back in the day all I would buy was federal 6 for pheasant and 8 for quail. Then the value pack for dove (still do that today).. I understand specific loads for some of the times,but it feels like I spend more time shopping for shells sometimes than firing them.....
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 09/07/15 05:55 PM

If you want to save a few $$ Academy has the Texas Rio #6 Hi Brass loads for about $8.00 a box (last Year)
I have used these on Pheasant and Chukar and they work very well.
The best shell I have ever used for upland hunting hands down are the B&P High velocity field loads. These are a nickel plated lead. For a high velocity load they are fairly low recoil and they seem to put more birds in the bag. Almost never any wounded birds. Only drawback is they must be ordered by the flat $120 plus shipping ...
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 09/08/15 10:39 PM

I use Rio Game Loads in 20 gauge, $5.49 at Academy.
Dead bird.

...and I mean dead.

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 09/15/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked
Are you the same king wood cat from the fishing forum. Be careful or that bass cat will be parked half the year while you take up bird hunting with dogs

Yes sir I am. I'm moving to Rayburn sometime after the first of the year so the kitty cat will get plenty of use. The piney woods has plenty of good hunting areas. Were I 30 years younger I would have a pointing lab at the house for sure.
Posted By: deckhand

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 09/16/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Revoman
Dang, I must be missing something but not birds. Shot a ton of pheasant with HB Winchester #5 in my 12 and 20 and #6 in the 16's

The HB Winchesters #6 16 ga. work great which is what I have used for years(store bought and reloads). I have used the Golden Pheasant #5's in my 16 gauge and they work good also. What I have seem in the Prairie Storm is they will tear up a bird. Never used them just hunting partner used them.

Re: Golden Pheasant or Prairie Storm? - 09/20/15 12:36 PM

I'll let you gents know. One month from today we'll be in South Dakota.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum