Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/20/15 03:17 PM

Came across some photos from a hunt I did for my family from Dumas, Arkansas. These were from sometime in the mid to late 90s. They did the long drive from Dumas to Lubbock and we managed to get them on some birds. Great time was had by all!

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/20/15 04:13 PM

Looks like a Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas to me.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/20/15 07:18 PM

Got my "Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas" pin on my pheasant vest as I used to hunt between Dumas and Channing plus I'm from Lubbock. Will be glad when wild pheasant return to the panhandle.
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/20/15 08:22 PM

I hope the Texas Panhandle wheat is tall and green this spring after all the rain that came down up there over the last month. I hope somebody can give us a report.

In west and southwest Kansas, I heard that 70% of the pheasant hens hatch their eggs in winter wheat, when the wheat crop is green and healthy.

The rain have to be helping the quail and pheasants up their with green vegetation for food and nesting cover and more fat insects.
Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/22/15 12:41 AM

Wheat all around the Panhandle is very tall and very green!!! No difference from irrigated(which is not needed) to dry land. Things are looking on the positive side, just hope we can keep it up but no flood out any chicks.
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/24/15 02:33 AM

SilverDogs, thanks for the update. In dry years like 2011, 2012 and 2013 the wheat does not provide a lot of nesting cover.

But in moisture loaded El Nino years (like now) the tall green wheat provides excellent nesting cover, brooding cover for chicks and plenty of insects.

It is very hard for a predator to find a setting hen pheasant in such a vast ocean of tall green wheat. Now the task is to get a hatch off before the wheat is cut. Most of the chicks should hatch well before the wheat is cut.

In the past strong El Nino years like 1982-1983, 2004-2005 and 2006-2007 the fall quail and pheasant numbers were very high. Lets see what happens.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/24/15 11:40 PM

in S.W. Ks. wasn't unusual to combine over hen's on nest, that was before the CRP.
Posted By: zeagle68

Re: Texas Panhandle Pheasant Hunt - 05/25/15 02:35 AM

Things are going great here at Spearman, almost 11" of SLOW rain in the last 30 days and the wheat and other cover are almost perfect. After the past few years it seems like we are seeing and hearing pheasant everywhere. All the playa lakes are full and if things hold on we might get a good sandhill season in addition to almost having a normal pheasant population.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum