Texas Hunting Forum

GSP pup a little small?

Posted By: Baylor_Bears

GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 09:19 PM

Hey guys, got a quick question for yall. I have a new GSP pup, Amos and he will be 10 weeks on Tuesday. This is my first GSP and I am a little concerned after seeing pictures and videos of other pups. Does he look quite small to be 10 weeks old? For reference he is 15 inches from ground to top of the shoulder, and I am not sure on his weight. Am I just being really picky? Here are some pictures of him today at the farm

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 09:35 PM

IDK. He looks fine to me. What difference does it make? My Jenny weighs 42 lbs. A lot of purists say that is light (as if there is something wrong with her). I'm not a purist. I'm not a breed snob. I don't care.

BTW, she hunts like a champ. I guess I would be happier with a bigger dog who couldn't find a bird. smile
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 09:46 PM

He's just right. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 10:28 PM

it not the body size, its the heart & mind

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 11:11 PM

Obviously I love him dearly, just from a health perspective I wanted to make sure we were okay
Posted By: kindall

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 11:17 PM

He looks good to me.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 11:25 PM

I'd love to have a small size shorthaired dog. If he/she weighed 35lbs or less I would be in hog heaven. I want a small retriever and there is not one breed out there except a cocker and I wish they were short haired.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 11:57 PM

Smaller size, less feed and less waste to clean up. My gsp gyp run between 35-40lbs during the year. Your pup may have a grown spurt. But looks good for the age

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/25/15 11:58 PM

What size were the parents?
Posted By: tigger

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 12:48 AM

Great looking pup, I will take him if you do not want him.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 05:45 AM

He looks fine, just love him and make him love you. Don't push him and most likely he will be fine.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 04:03 PM

Posted By: duckbill

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 04:22 PM

good looking pup. where I see size matter in the field is when we hit some of the really large fields. It's handy to have one of the large male dogs out because he can cover a lot of ground much quicker than the others. Any dog can do it, they just do it a bit quicker.

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

That's great bill!
Posted By: MS1454

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 05:37 PM

Haha reminds me of a weiner dog we had when I was a kid. Man that little dog had no fear of any other animal and was a great tracker.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 06:02 PM

Good looking pup.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 06:41 PM

My Vizsla Dash was the runt of his litter and noticeably smaller than his litter mates. Chosen for me by the breeder because of his bird interest, not his size. At three he is a big stout dog for a Vizsla. I would not be surprised if he weighs more than most of his siblings. For your pup, while he is still growing focus extra attention on his nutrition with good food. While he is young you can give him safe things to chew on like cut elk antlers to help him develop strong jaws. You have nothing to worry about. Good looking pup.
Posted By: gspbrad

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 08:00 PM

I've had shorthairs for over 25 years. I prefer smaller build; females around 40 lbs. Males around 50. You're pup looks fine.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 08:03 PM

Your pup looks good to me. Nice looking pup. I wouldn't be too concerned with size as long as she isn't skin and bones.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 09:30 PM

Your correct, you are being too picky
Posted By: Pointer

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 09:33 PM

Enjoy your pup. He looks just right to me.

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 11:17 PM

Thanks yall, this is my first GSP so I didn't really know what to expect. Im sure yall will be hearing a lot more from me in the coming months as me and Amos work through training together. He is already a smart lil dude

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/26/15 11:35 PM

When I got my Brit at 7 weeks she was 4lbs, and was the runt of the litter. She matured to 35 lbs. nothing to worry about.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/27/15 12:16 AM

My GSP female is about 48 lbs. A lot smaller than the others we hunt with. She can cover lots of ground and do it quick
Posted By: kb3024

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 01/30/15 02:50 AM

He looks fine. I bet he will be an athlete.
Posted By: epp838

Re: GSP pup a little small? - 02/04/15 08:16 PM

looks stocky, good looking pup
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum