Texas Hunting Forum

Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt

Posted By: MS1454

Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/05/15 04:21 AM

So me and the dog went to the Chap Friday and Saturday and after several years of going and not getting any birds, we finally got some. Saw about 7 covies on Friday in a half day and about three on Saturday. Only was able to bag a couple due to my shooting blush. Cover was really good and you can tell they have been getting some good rain. Below is a video I did from my cell phone of my dog trying to find some singles that broke off of a covy.

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/05/15 02:36 PM

I went down for Saturday morning. Found 1 covey, worked on a couple of the smaller groups after the flush. Didn't kill any birds, but had a nice time. Heard quite a bit of shooting. They told me at check station that 400 birds were turned in Friday.

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/05/15 03:02 PM

Yea 400 birds from 118 hunters, there were something like 140 on Saturday.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/05/15 11:10 PM

118 hunters good grief. I don't think I have run into 118 bird hunters in the same spot as me in 20 years altogether
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/06/15 12:27 AM

wow - those quail that make it to the end of the season out there are going to have a Doctorate in bird dog avoidance smile
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/06/15 01:37 AM

Thanks for the video. Did you dog (or you) ever find the bird?

Re: Chaparral WMA Quail Hunt - 01/06/15 02:01 AM

He'll Ya we did. A whole one in the bag. It was a single from a covey that the dog bust!!. If my shooting was good, we could have had my guess five to seven on Friday. Two to three birds on Saturday.

Sorry I 're read your post and you said THE quail. Not from th video no.that was from Saturday. Yes those wild birds are different game of beasts. The cover was thick and there is not much to see with the dog work with cover being thick.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum