Texas Hunting Forum

Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land

Posted By: TXGH

Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land - 10/29/14 06:50 PM

I have been researching for hours and I cannot locate anything within a 3 hour drive of Houston for public Quail..

Am I missing something?

Any help would be awesome.. Thanks guys!

I am not asking for the answers, just maybe point me in the right direction?
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land - 10/29/14 07:03 PM

Public quail hunting in Texas. Chaparral WMA (5-6 hour drive from Whos-town) 5 open days a year, you just missed two of them. A small place just north of Chaparral WMA about the same opportunity. Check TPWD public hunting areas, very few within three hours of Whos-town. Choke Canyon has some public hunting for quail, (3.5 - 4 hours) but it's at bit too woodsy for hunting quail.

Just south of Columbus, TX on I-10 @ 1 hour west of Whos-town is a hunting preserve, Top-Flight Hunting. www.topflighthunting.com Leon's a great guy, quail @ 8$ ea, they also have Chukar and Pheasant, but they are 'flight-conditioned' birds.

Good Luck.
Posted By: TimboTimbo1

Re: Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land - 10/29/14 10:43 PM

I have also hunted at Top Flight in Columbus. The group had a great time and those quail where really fast and flew well. Calculate gas and your time into the total cost, I bet you would at least break even by going to Top Flight.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land - 10/31/14 04:33 AM

Come on up to Dallas for a weekend and hunt both days with us at Poetry Shooting Club. We are 35 miles east of Dallas and your RV is welcome.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Need help Quail around Houston on Public Land - 11/12/14 05:55 PM

I have been searching for the same thing since I have moved here and have not had any luck. There are wild quail in the Gulf Coast region many miles southwest of Houston. But public hunting areas are only limited to waterfowl, to my knowledge.

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum