Texas Hunting Forum

Johnny House

Posted By: Teamjefe

Johnny House - 09/22/14 01:32 PM

Anyone on here use/own one?
Posted By: tigger

Re: Johnny House - 09/22/14 03:53 PM

I have 2, work good except for snakes, possum, coons, hawks and owls.
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Johnny House - 09/22/14 03:54 PM

They are too small of an area for upland birds, they need some 'flight' space.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Johnny House - 09/22/14 04:30 PM

Yep, they work. I've found that you need birds hatched this year and keep them in the house for a week or two before you let one go. Also, when "training" them I've found if you carry them a 50-100 yards away and release them as group they'll all get up and fly a decent distance. The more you release them the better they get - once a day isn't too much but release them in morning so they have the day to get back in. Animals can get through the funnel and will kill your birds. I've caught ringtails, opossums, squirrels, and mice/rats. I've also had loose dogs tear into mine which caused me to put hundreds of sharp nails through the wood for armor.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Johnny House - 09/22/14 07:35 PM

I had one for around 25 years. They worked fine except for the exceptions. I usually planted my birds to simulate NSTRA. I got a varmint proof funnel for mine. I got mixed results with the funnel. I found that the roosters recalled better than the hens.

I gave mine away this past spring.
Posted By: Teamjefe

Re: Johnny House - 09/22/14 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Johnny House - 09/23/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: My best friend has a tail
They are too small of an area for upland birds, they need some 'flight' space.

They get conditioned by flying up to the ledge several times a day. I've never had problems with their flight condition.

Posted By: jmscalf

Re: Johnny House - 12/14/14 02:12 AM

Do yall have any more pics of your recall houses? Or even a set of plans?
Posted By: blanked

Re: Johnny House - 12/14/14 02:40 PM

Phantom kennel in Abilene has a lot of chatter about his johnny house. He sells plans to build one. Do a search
Posted By: coonie

Re: Johnny House - 12/17/14 01:16 AM

I built one using the Phantom plans. IMO it works really well. You have a small recall area. There is a door from there that you can raise to return the recalled birds to the main compartment. So if a varmint gets in it is only with the ones in the recall area. I also find that male birds recall much better than females.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum