Texas Hunting Forum

Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail

Posted By: Robalero

Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/09/14 12:29 AM

South Texas close to San Manuel in Hidalgo County. Was cloudy and the threat of rain was there all day; plus it has rained pretty hard down here. Saw a ton of quail! As we walked the field, and we were there only a while, we broke one covey of at least ten birds, and my dog pointed to about five or six small two to four bird mini-coveys. That was a large field, we walked maybe twenty acres of it (maybe a fifth of the open field)! Hope they stay around until late October!
Posted By: Scaramouche

Re: Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/10/14 03:01 PM

Dove hunted the first week on a ranch north of Post and East of Lubbock. Not a lot of doves and all immature but we flushed three large coveys in separate areas. Ranch manager said this was unusual but pig population/;activity is way down for some reason.
Posted By: jkk

Re: Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/13/14 02:14 AM

Saw 2 coveys of bobs and a covey blues west of Lubbock while killing dove.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/16/14 04:31 PM

I saw a few quail north of vernon in Oklahoma
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/18/14 06:21 PM

I miss the good old days of plentiful quail in N. Texas.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Went Dove Hunting And Saw Lots of Quail - 09/20/14 07:14 AM

Geee me too grew up in brush country off the Colorado in mills co. We had so many quail it wasn't funny I am so glad I got to at least enjoy them for a while. I could literally limit out any day I wanted to I haven't seen a quail there in 15 years! Really glad to hear all the reports of them coming back in places they haven't been in a while.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum