Texas Hunting Forum

Questions for a new guy!!

Posted By: txcntryboy

Questions for a new guy!! - 02/16/13 05:44 PM

Hello all,

I have gotten the chance to go up to Colorado to chase pheasant as well as duck and goose hunt. I am completely new to bird hunting all together. Only been Dove hunting twice.

What I need is some advice on what to take with me as far as gear. All guns will be provided as well as ammo so I just need to know what kind of essentials I need for walking the brush with the weather expected to be 40s during the day and 20s at night. I am planning on buying some chaps but that is about as far as I have gotten. I have all my deer hunting gear but I don't know well suited it will be since I am usually sitting in a blind and not walking around all morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/16/13 06:30 PM

We need more information. Sounds as if you will be hunting pen raised quail. If so, dress light.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/16/13 07:28 PM

Good fitting boots broke in with quite a bit of extra walking prior to your hunt will make the hunt a more enjoyable experience.
Posted By: txcntryboy

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/16/13 08:57 PM

It ill be at a corporate ranch owned by one of our suppliers so I am not sure if they will be pen raised or not. There are three sections of this place and its over 30,000 acres. No quail were mentioned, Just pheasant and hopes that the cold winds would push down some duck and geese that we could hunt as well.

The itinerary I received states that we will be in high desert country, Roggen CO.

That's about all of the information I have so far.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/21/13 12:58 AM

Sounds like a real fun trip. It took me some time, but I have finally learned not to skimp when it comes to gear. (As much as i can) Much more enjoyable to be comfortable and dry than cold or wet...or both. As mentioned above a cheap pair of boots... Or some new ones that are not broken in, are not much fun either. This will probably be a great memory for life, so spend a little extra on good gear if you can so the memory is about the hunt and not how miserable your feet hurt. Take pics and post up after... Hope you really get into them! up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/24/13 06:55 PM

Dress in layers, you'll definitely work up a sweat walking around.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Questions for a new guy!! - 02/25/13 04:13 AM

Comfortable boots is the most important thing. Waterproof if you can. Wet socks kill a good bird hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum