Texas Hunting Forum

Quail Hunting Preserve Questions

Posted By: shooterwalter

Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/09/13 07:02 PM

Hello to THF friends and thanks for your helpful input in the past.

This is the first year for my Quail Preserve close to Dallas in Poetry Texas and for me with bird dogs. This has been a good beginning and I try to learn from my many mistakes.

A tiny brag see Ray Sasser Dallas News 2-7-2013.

Question – Bird Breeders are running out of birds. My current capacity is about 200 birds at a time. Assuming the guys in DC don’t scare us all into hiding how long will the interest last in working and hunting Quail, March, April, May ??? If I think the interest will last a while I want to build another flight pen so I can hold 400 birds at one time so I can accommodate bird dog owners with quail availability for use here at the Preserve and for ”Take Out “

Again thanks for your considerations and with your help I hope to create a positive experience for quail hunters of today and the future.

walter
Posted By: kindall

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/09/13 07:06 PM

It all depends on the weather but March is usually the cut off for most folks.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/09/13 11:46 PM

I've never known of a more dedicated person than you. I enjoy your threads, and don't treat them as spam or advertising. I'd come out and visit if you were that far west of Houston. Good luck. Hang in there.

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/10/13 03:00 AM

thank you Bill and I look forward to meeting you some day.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/11/13 05:05 PM

I think after March it gets too hot for the dogs in most areas of Texas - code for I get too hot
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/11/13 05:55 PM

I normally stop by the end of March. It does get hot for me and the dogs, but the more difficult thing is finding birds. Everyone is normally sold out by then.

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/12/13 12:34 AM

So maybe if I can have birds I might extend the season a bit longer? This is why I asked as I think I need to quickly build more flight pen capasity.

Thanks for the reply
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 02/17/13 09:26 PM

Heat is the key.

It was 28 degrees yesterday when they hit the ground but I'm thinking that may be it for us this year.

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 03/01/13 10:16 PM

End of season specials.

your dog

buy minimum 10 quail at $10 each and free use of field, 2 hours, for extended season hunting
Posted By: Rockhunter

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 03/02/13 12:56 AM

Do you set the birds out or is it self serve?

Re: Quail Hunting Preserve Questions - 03/02/13 03:17 AM

self serve
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum