Texas Hunting Forum

Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks

Posted By: Double 6

Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/06/13 10:22 PM

Anyone go or know anyone who did go lately? Report in.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/06/13 11:07 PM

I have been hunting twice up in Young county in recent weeks. I have seen and worked wild birds (as many as 3 bevies) real early in the morning between 7:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. After that, we have been pretty much been just running dogs. I have not pointed a bird in the afternoon since late November.

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/17/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
I have been hunting twice up in Young county in recent weeks. I have seen and worked wild birds (as many as 3 bevies) real early in the morning between 7:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. After that, we have been pretty much been just running dogs. I have not pointed a bird in the afternoon since late November.

4 healthy covies in 2 hours Saturday morning. Notta Saturday afternoon.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/18/13 01:25 PM

Bevies/covies/coveys?
Posted By: Double 6

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/18/13 01:39 PM

I guess it all means the same. Dad always said Coveys and I say bunches. Guess its just what County you are in. Anyhow there are not many of them left and thats a shame. I just want to cry.

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/18/13 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. bevy - a large gathering of people of a particular type; "he was surrounded by a bevy of beauties in bathing attire"; "a bevy of young beach boys swarmed around him"
assemblage, gathering - a group of persons together in one place
2. bevy - a flock of birds (especially when gathered close together on the ground); "we were visited at breakfast by a bevy of excited ducks"
quail - small gallinaceous game birds
flock - a group of birds

Bevies/covies/coveys?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/18/13 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. bevy - a large gathering of people of a particular type; "he was surrounded by a bevy of beauties in bathing attire"; "a bevy of young beach boys swarmed around him"
assemblage, gathering - a group of persons together in one place
2. bevy - a flock of birds (especially when gathered close together on the ground); "we were visited at breakfast by a bevy of excited ducks"
quail - small gallinaceous game birds
flock - a group of birds

Bevies/covies/coveys?

How about covies?

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/19/13 12:29 AM

Why don't you expand your literary acumen?
Posted By: tigger

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/20/13 05:46 PM

Ran dogs for 4 hours Saturday morning and found 4 nice coveys, and a friend also found 4 coveys Saturday morning. We both ran for 3+ hours Saturday afternoon and he found 2 coveys and I found none. He also ran Sunday morning and found 1 covey.
None were the same coveys.

It was real nice that my year old pup got to smell a wild bird.
We had some ok dog work considering how long it had been since my dogs had had a chance to work real birds. Sure do not kill many with blank pistols.

Last year he ran for 2 days and did not find a bird.

I an encouraged because cover is good, covey size was at least 10 birds, and birds flew real well. The pastures are showing little weeds coming up. I never ran last year and he ran 2 days and never saw a bird.

With a little luck we might be on the upswing. I certainly hope so. We have not hunted birds since December 2010 and lost 15000 acres to fire in 2011. The areas that burned looks better but we still need a good wet year.

Whiskey and steaks were excellent.
Posted By: Raymond07

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/20/13 06:04 PM

Tigger what area were you hunting.

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/20/13 06:56 PM

Kent county south of 380 west of 70 east of 208
Posted By: coonie

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/21/13 03:20 AM

what kind of whiskey are you drinking?

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/21/13 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: coonie
what kind of whiskey are you drinking?

I don't remember
Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/23/13 02:31 AM

5th and final outing of the season was today. nothing in 3 hours. In my 5 trips my covey counts were 0-2-2-1-0. I probably averaged a covey every 3-4 hours of hunting. Pretty bad. Even last season, after that extended dry spell, I averaged a covey every 1-2 hours. My best day last season was 6 coveys.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Rolling Plains report the last couple weeks - 02/25/13 04:28 AM

Tigger you should have called things are looking up, but we got a long long ways to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum