Texas Hunting Forum

Is three a pair

Posted By: bill oxner

Is three a pair - 04/09/10 06:10 PM

Chuck Duran came over this morning to run dogs with me on wild bobwhite quail, south of my house. We saw the dogs get birdy, and one quail fly our. They were about to point and two more flew out. That was it for this morning. I don't know if they were pairing, or if it was leftovers from a covey. Covey fragments, as someone called it during quail season. The location was not 15 feet from where this picture was taken two years ago;

I'm going to the pasture in Wharton county tomorrow morning, to run my dogs with a guy who has had success on quail restoration. I'll give you an update on any pairs I see. I don't remember seeing them pair this early in past years. Have you seen any pairs?

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Is three a pair - 04/09/10 08:03 PM

I had a first hand report of a sighting of recently hatched chicks with 1 adult bird around Artesia Wells.

Posted By: westtex75

Re: Is three a pair - 04/09/10 08:07 PM

Bill heres what I got for you. I was out at the lease in cottle co. this past wkend chasing turkeys. I stepped into 2 nice size coveys still bunched up.

Sunday morning, in Baylor co., I counted 13 cross the road about 50 yrs. from where I had counted 14 back in oct. Pretty sure it was the same covey and if so looks like most survived the winter in good shape...........Also both places where as green as I have ever seen them this time of yr. I will be back out that way quite a bit thru apr-may. Will keep you posted.

Posted By: westtex75

Re: Is three a pair - 04/09/10 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I had a first hand report of a sighting of recently hatched chicks with 1 adult bird around Artesia Wells.

wow.... That's interesting.
I have never heard of a hatch this early. Tell us more.

Posted By: Double 6

Re: Is three a pair - 04/10/10 12:46 PM

I was hunting Quail @ Moore south of SA several years ago in late Jan. and shot a Quail and noticed something fall from her. It was a egg!
I think Quail pair a few weeks more early down south. We see pairs in the Rolling Plains while spring Turkey hunting in late April and also here em giving the mating call.

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Is three a pair - 04/10/10 01:38 PM

My buddy and his son watched them for about 30 minutes. It's a different world down South.

Re: Is three a pair - 04/10/10 04:33 PM

ET and I met with Jim Willis this morning at the pasture in Wharton county. Here's Jim's resume;

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6163852.html

Jim brought along two beautiful Elhew pointers. I had Cookie and Cracker. ET brought Zorro. We were never out of birds. They were all paired up, or in singles. I can't wait until next year.

Jim and I had hunted a lot of the same pastures over our years. I wish I'd met him earlier in my life. Here's a picture of Jim's pup named Dixie;

Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Is three a pair - 04/12/10 08:43 PM

I hope I am able to make a hunt with you guys sometime, Bill. Great pics, BTW.

Re: Is three a pair - 04/25/10 02:26 PM

I took a couple of gravel roads yesterday and saw three pair.

People who can still hear them calling are hearing the bobwhites calling from our subdivision.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum