Texas Hunting Forum

Migration end?

Posted By: bbarron80

Migration end? - 01/31/23 04:58 PM

Was going to do some after season scouting for spots for next year. When do the birds start migrating out of the area?
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Migration end? - 01/31/23 05:02 PM

South winds and full moons.
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Migration end? - 01/31/23 05:20 PM

The PLAYA lakes in New Mexico are full of ducks...a sure sign that the early migrators are already heading their way North. They head South to escape the weather...then they loaf back North getting all the calories they can along the way. In my experience the Playa lakes are typically dry until January, and then hold water until late Spring...some years sooner, some years no water at all.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Migration end? - 01/31/23 05:24 PM

I wouldn’t waste your time scouting now. Wether patterns next year can be completely different and change migration patterns.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Migration end? - 02/05/23 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
I wouldn’t waste your time scouting now. Wether patterns next year can be completely different and change migration patterns.

While you ain’t wrong, you are still wrong though. Scouting after season birds can tell you a lot. Places birds like during heavy pressure. Food sources in late winter and how available they are at certain water levels. I don’t do it every year cause some years I am just tired. But the years I do I always learn something. But you are correct, there are so many variables from year to year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum