Texas Hunting Forum

How to blind a red kayak!

Posted By: bbarron80

How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 01:49 AM

Would love to camo paint it, but this sounds like a waste of time as the paint won’t stick well to the plastic. I see there are some heat treat options though. I have a Bonafide RS 117 bright red. Have been struggling trying to conceal. Was thinking of building my own blind out of the plastic chicken wire and grass. Also looking at a kayak blind. Can’t really find right now and start around $200. Should I paint it and just touch up the scratches? Buy the blind or build my own?
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 02:26 AM

Are you married to the kayak? Sell the red one, and buy a green one.
Posted By: RayB

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 03:18 AM

https://www.nucanoe.com/product/layout-blind/
How about something like this?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 05:01 AM

Rustoleum makes paint specifically for plastic. This would be the route I would take.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...aint-for-Plastic-6-Pack-211360/202058472

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 05:40 AM

I would sell it and buy another one. Or dedicate it for fishing and buy a dedicated one for hunting. Painting it might or might not work, but potentially lots of time, money, and frustration to just have paint constantly wear off the plastic from portages, dragging, loading unloading, stumps, gravel, etc. and always having to keep a cover or blind over it when it does. Look at the weight rating too. Adding camo material or a blind to cover of the type needed to fully cover the red, combined with decoys, gun, ammo, and gear, that blind or cover material, plus when it is all wet, may take you over the boats max load rating or make you top heavy and unsafe. Can you even get a low profile in that one? I think that one uses a high stadium type seat for fishing?

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 12:20 PM

I laid down in it and it was pretty comfortable. I think if I could get a layout blind type cushion I could easily lay down in it. Been contemplating selling it and get a green one. May have to do it in the off season. Would be a lot easier to just throw over some basic netting and brush it in.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 03:14 PM

I got an Avery blind for my orange kayak. I wanted to keep the orange as I fished offshore in it. Even with that, I had to paint the front and back. That paint held on for several years. But grassed in netting with some kind of light doors would work as well. That is basically what the Avery is except it is cut to fit the bow and stern. It has a bungee type cord running around the bottom that snugs it to the kayak. I have two. If you are interested in one of them we could make a deal. My boats are 14 footers.
Posted By: john paul

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 04:01 PM

Sell the red one and buy one that is some sort of camp color. Ive tried painting kayaks before and it never holds up.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 04:20 PM

I went to JoAnn's fabrics and got some cheap camo fabric and made a cover. There are curtain weights that keep curtains from blowing around. You need those to hold the thing in place. I think the fabric beats any smooth camo paint.
I have thought about a kayak for duck hunting. How does it work out? Some Louisiana Pirogues have a scud hole- put a stick through it into the bottom of the pond/marsh to keep the boat from rocking. Or just beach the yak so it doesn't roll. Anyone duck hunt from a kayak?
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 01/31/23 04:48 PM

Camo vinyl wrap, not hydro-dipped, just spray with soapy water, peel, stick and squeegee ??? That's what I use on the plastics of atvs and golf carts, holds up well to abuse, removable(once) to get your red color back. You could even try different patterns, best I can tell less than $100 should cover it...add some die cut netting , burlap or mosquito netting to further break up the outline,
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I went to JoAnn's fabrics and got some cheap camo fabric and made a cover. There are curtain weights that keep curtains from blowing around. You need those to hold the thing in place. I think the fabric beats any smooth camo paint.
I have thought about a kayak for duck hunting. How does it work out? Some Louisiana Pirogues have a scud hole- put a stick through it into the bottom of the pond/marsh to keep the boat from rocking. Or just beach the yak so it doesn't roll. Anyone duck hunt from a kayak?

I have two pirogues, two canoes, and three kayaks. Different boats for different situations and locations. Sometimes it is just for access, sometimes it is used on the bank for a layout, sometimes it is for a sled to carry decoys and keep gear dry, sometimes for jumping ducks sculling,

I drug up some pictures for examples.

On the bank with nothing special done to hide it and blanket blind inside. I am just another log. I was being mobile that day and moved across the arm of the lake and reset a small number of goose and teal decoys to be where the birds were going as conditions changed. This is my main hunting boat. I since removed the seat and use a turkey hunting seat I can fold up and put away. A full layout blind fits in it now.

[Linked Image]

With surplus camo net material and brush

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wooden Pirogue for layout hunting on open water. I just shovel bank material and mud on top of deck when I launch.
[Linked Image]

The big metal canoe for hauling massive decoy spreads. Or longer hauls with a 3.5hp gas motor or trolling motor. Also my favorite for sculling creeks for wood ducks. I can put a full blind on it to use in high water years when the water up to the trees.
[Linked Image]

The 9 ft. Used as a gear sled in this picture and dry place to set things next to me. Great for throw and go spur of the moment hunts and go to cross short distances off deep water to get to walk into places one can't otherwise walk to. Or to easily portage long distances to use in landlocked water most can only walk to.
[Linked Image]

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 05:06 PM

For me a kayak would work better. Being alone in a strong wind and trying to paddle a canoe is hard for me. In any event I wasn't sure you could hunt out of a kayak. Off hand, the photo of one end on land to prevent rolling and some grass on top- that looks pretty good.
Posted By: Blank

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 05:16 PM

$25 worth of camoflage netting from the Army Surplus, draped all over the top of it. Movement and reflection off sunglasses and shiny guns bothers them more!!
Posted By: jnd59

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
For me a kayak would work better. Being alone in a strong wind and trying to paddle a canoe is hard for me. In any event I wasn't sure you could hunt out of a kayak. Off hand, the photo of one end on land to prevent rolling and some grass on top- that looks pretty good.

I've hunted from mine in open water not supported by reeds or shore. It's doable but not fun. Also I think the kayak moves around a lot while you are trying to work birds. But pushed into reeds or one end on the shore is a much better option.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 08:11 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 08:48 PM

Camo Paint have used on feeders
Posted By: louisianaman

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/01/23 11:36 PM

I'd sell it and buy a new one. Lalo what is the bird all the way on the right on your last pic?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/02/23 05:00 PM

https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/mo...63qf3_AIVEjizAB314wGyEAQYAiABEgKRGPD_BwE

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/04/23 07:03 PM

Canoe with a kayak paddle- I've thought about that. How easy is it to paddle a canoe with a kayak paddle? If the wind is strong can you still move? Thanks.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/07/23 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Rustoleum makes paint specifically for plastic. This would be the route I would take.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...aint-for-Plastic-6-Pack-211360/202058472

I use this stuff at work a lot, it lasts for about 6 months (in a dry condition) before it needs to be redone, just fyi.
personally i'd check into a vinyl wrap, if that is too expensive then a new yak. Just my dos centavos

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 02/09/23 07:41 PM

Going to build a PVC frame. Cover with cordura fabric, plastic chicken wire, and a camo netting. Everything is pretty light weight, and pretty water resistant. Will make sure the fabric touches the water to hide the yak. It should turn out pretty decent and be less than a $230 cover blind. Will post pics.

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 06/10/23 08:48 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 06/10/23 08:48 PM

Finally got it done! Better work, lots of hours. Going to brush it in prior to opening day. Will that be good or should I stripe it with some paint?
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 06/11/23 01:44 AM

Looks good up
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: How to blind a red kayak! - 07/15/23 07:53 PM

Had a friend last year buy some of that paint for a kayak project he had! paint all peeled off after 3rd or 4th use of
his yak!,,,,,, not sure what he did, but it was crap he said! if you need a camo today, just buy one! theres\
plenty to choose from today on the market. Or build your own little small yak with strips today like in a strip canoe! time
consuming, but works!.....

shoot safe....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum