Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting pressure this season

Posted By: 2flyfish4

Hunting pressure this season - 01/18/23 01:45 PM

For the public land guys, what was your take on hunting pressure this season?

Outside of opening weekends and the holiday influx, it seemed be down some since the covid peaks.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/18/23 02:23 PM

Rediculous, hunting pressure has been worse than ever.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/18/23 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mohunter
Rediculous, hunting pressure has been worse than ever.

This! Gets worse every season in areas I hunt.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/18/23 04:34 PM

I agree it is worse. I find myself getting further and further out to try to get away from the pressure. And that's with the local DFW area lakes actually holding ducks this year.

I've spent more time out of state this year than ever before.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/18/23 06:37 PM

six and one half million people.
and that's just DFW.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/19/23 03:04 AM

Hunt 2 private properties I own. Manage pressure. Public is a different ball game. If I wasn’t 55, would love the challenge. We shot over 200 ducks YTD in my 7 acre wetland and 20+ acre soil conservation lake. One of the best years we have had in the last decade. Manage around fronts, which 1 this season early and Christmas front was about it. We don’t sky bust, don’t shoot into big groups, try not to educate.

Great season. Another 4-5 hunts left. Try to rest and hunt just 1x week. Only 1 solo hunt YTD. Have to manage pressure, which is key. Many cloudy days YTD late and stale ducks which makes it difficult. Surprised at number of mallards and lack of gadwalls late season.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/20/23 02:42 PM

I'd say it was a little worse in the public area I hunt, but not by much. I generally try to go out during the week, and there were always good spots open.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/20/23 04:29 PM

Do yall think hunting pressure is worse today than in any prior era of waterfowl hunting, including the market hunting days?
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/20/23 05:16 PM

It was way down for me. The lakes were basically closed to boat traffic (unless you wanted to drive the boat 6+ miles. Since my boat is very light, I was able to launch when others couldn't.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/21/23 01:52 AM

Worse. But then again, I've yet to have a bad encounter with another hunter/group. I got beat to a spot once this season, and another a group was where I was THINKING about setting up but went to plan B and shot more than they did.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/21/23 10:24 PM

It’s far worse. And that is with less hunters. Google maps, OnX and the like have certainly changed any idiots ability to find good spots, including my dumb [censored]. just the availability of info is much more attainable. Equipment so much better than when I started in early 70’s. My first set of waders cost about 65.00, 6 months ago I dropped 1000 on waders. Shotguns, boats, decoys, clothes, ice eaters, heated ponds, there is no end. So yeah, there is far more pressure than years before even though considerable less hunters.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 06:47 PM

Several waterfowl pages on FB, loaded with name droppers.. every public waterhole in Texas has been named at least 10Xs this season by someone. (Not really but close)

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Misfire
Several waterfowl pages on FB, loaded with name droppers.. every public waterhole in Texas has been named at least 10Xs this season by someone. (Not really but close)

Ya I noticed that to. Even though I think alot of those guys were naming lakes just to send the internet scooters there and try to reduce the pressure and people off the lakes they were actually hunting.

Something else is the number of new guide services that pop up every season. Seems like anyone who has access to a pond is now a guide. And all the knee sucking buddies are on there pimping them out.

Most those groups are a pretty sad scene.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

Ya I noticed that to. Even though I think alot of those guys were naming lakes just to send the internet scooters there and try to reduce the pressure and people off the lakes they were actually hunting.

Something else is the number of new guide services that pop up every season. Seems like anyone who has access to a pond is now a guide. And all the knee sucking buddies are on there pimping them out.

Truly sad that all these attention seeking azzclowns really mess up public hunting for everyone.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 10:25 PM

I'm not a guided hunt kinda hunter, but I have had some good friends who where guides so I had been undecided on the thought. But guiding on public water in Texas having no licensing or other requirements and social media ever increasing the number of guides I think is reaching the point a ban for commercial guiding of hunters on public may be needed. Kansas did it a few years ago. I think the change worked out well for hunters there. Just not so much for the guides and outfitters that operated on public.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 10:46 PM

It’s a lot less because I have not been hunting as much. smile ani

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

I'm not a guided hunt kinda hunter, but I have had some good friends who where guides so I had been undecided on the thought. But guiding on public water in Texas having no licensing or other requirements and social media ever increasing the number of guides I think is reaching the point a ban for commercial guiding of hunters on public may be needed. Kansas did it a few years ago. I think the change worked out well for hunters there. Just not so much for the guides and outfitters that operated on public.

Id support laws and restrictions of guides not hunting on public ground. But then what do you do with all the fishing guides?

So in my opinion, the best thing to do is, not allow "guides" to shoot or carry a gun on guided hunts for migratory birds. In Texas it is illegal for a guide to take a limit of fish while on guided fishing trips. Only the clients can keep their legal limit. Doing the same for migratory birds will weed out alot of these guides that are just in it bc they want to get paid to shoot birds.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/22/23 11:14 PM

The Kansas law on commercial hunting guides on public does not affect fishing guides at all. They are still allowed to operate as before and are regulated. Fishing guides in Texas unlike hunting are also already highly regulated and required to be licensed. There are several additional requirements to operate as a fishing guide that vary between freshwater and saltwater, and type of boat, etc. And guide limits are not allowed.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 03:06 AM

Would fully support banning guides on public land or make them have to get a very high priced license.
Minimum 10,000.00 fee.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 03:29 AM

Let me tell you youngsters something. Been hunting ducks for 45 years. If I had the equipment back in the 70’s-90’s that yall got now. Warm waders, google maps, ONX, mud motors, steel shot that actually works. Jobs that allow the time off. Drones, etc etc. There would be no ducks for y’all left to hunt!

Ain’t jealous, we got all that now, just pointing out facts.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Would fully support banning guides on public land or make them have to get a very high priced license.
Minimum 10,000.00 fee.

I agree, one of the things that infuriates me about guides is they are making money off a publuc resource. Make them but a $10k license or duck stamp every year and that money go into conservation. They need to invest in the resource, not just take from it.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 04:59 AM

A history lesson or my experience with pressure over time. I was able to hunt when we had a point system and you could kill 10 ducks as long as you did not shoot a high point duck unless it was your last duck. If course some hunters if a high point duck was shot early, they would hide it and later claim it was shot last. And yes some GWs carried thermometers. During those years the north texas public lakes were at good levels, agriculture was still nearby, a higher population of desirable ducks used those lakes, you could shoot lead, public hunting rules were more lax or just not enforced, public bank access was plentiful and year round blinds lined those banks, some left paddled or rowed boats on the bank all week without anyone messing with them, a lot of lakes hunted in the N TX area did not exist yet and there was no internet to find those that were outside the urban area driving range. It concentrated hunters on some lakes and I experienced hunting pressure at times that I believe rivals todays. But I also felt there was more hunting etiquette than today, it was an older crowd, and we killed a lot of ducks. Yet another lake during that time two hours plus drive away via a two lane road where a highway exists today had almost no hunting pressure during those years. You could knock on doors along that road and almost never be turned down to hunt private water so we never hunted that lake. It was about how near human population was and how information was obtained. I generally had to write snail mail letters just to find out if a place was legal to hunt and obtain hunting rules and maps.

Then came the three duck limit. Pressure dropped to the point at times it was like you had the entire lake to yourself. Duck numbers still seemed fine to me. But a lot of hunters who used to being able to take up to 10 ducks decided it was not worth going anymore. In many ways I think of those as the good old days because of that.

Today, I think it is just going to get worse. TV shows and advertisements make it look like an extreme sport and spend millions pushing new products. Anyone with internet within minutes can find every hunting area in any driving radius, it's rules, the access points, and zoom in to find exact spots to hunt, then use GPS to get there. And places like facebook and youtube there is a constant stream of self produced hunting videos down to the exact place, how to, and time far beyond the occasional name drop some worry about here. Younger guys might argue the point, but I am sure most older waterfowl hunters will agree, there also has been a culture change in the sport. Not just things like claypool mentioned, but also how the change from mentor taught hunters to internet taught hunters has changed the way they envision the sport and interact. Though hunter numbers drop each year, the acreage we have available to hunt also drops. The combination of all those things will continue to have a compounding effect on hunting pressure.

Unless perhaps if we go back to a three duck limit again.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by claypool

Let me tell you youngsters something. Been hunting ducks for 45 years. If I had the equipment back in the 70’s-90’s that yall got now. Warm waders, google maps, ONX, mud motors, steel shot that actually works. Jobs that allow the time off. Drones, etc etc. There would be no ducks for y’all left to hunt!

Ain’t jealous, we got all that now, just pointing out facts.

We did just fine with none of that stuff. If I had camo, it was army surplus or we just used flannel shirts and blue jeans. Waders were made of rubber, handed down, and not everyone would have them. I often supplemented my dozen flambeaus with duck size logs and lake trash thrown out. We killed ducks. It was fun.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 01:11 PM

The public guide hate is funny. Everyone has an excuse, but remember if they get rid of them you’ll have to dig up a new one.

Are we as upset about influencers making money off of a public resource? Should they have a heavy price to pay as well?

All game is owned by the state. So all guides are profiting from a public resource unless you’re pen raising birds or hunting only exotics. So go ahead get anti guide with the hippie lingo of public resource singing this land is my land. Then just keep going until they come after everyone.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 04:16 PM

First off, there is no comparison between a fishing guide vrs a duck hunting guide. The two are so different that laws pertaing the two should be different.

I'm not against guides in general but there is something different about a guide operating on public vrs on private. Imagine all our lakes in N Tx with outfitters/guides lining every pocket or bank with their clients. Raise your hand here and show your stupidity if you would be fine with that (public hunters)

Laws are made (at least in theory) by the majority, for the majority but with protections for the minority. And who uses public lakes by far....the public land DIY hunter.

That's who should be protected and giving top considerations....just like the western resident elk hunters....but that's another debate in of itself.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
The public guide hate is funny. Everyone has an excuse, but remember if they get rid of them you’ll have to dig up a new one.

Are we as upset about influencers making money off of a public resource? Should they have a heavy price to pay as well?

All game is owned by the state. So all guides are profiting from a public resource unless you’re pen raising birds or hunting only exotics. So go ahead get anti guide with the hippie lingo of public resource singing this land is my land. Then just keep going until they come after everyone.

I'm actually not against guides or guiding on public land. Im about to go spend 4 days hunting public land with a guide.

I just think some aspects of guiding and waterfowl hunting have gotten out of control and need to get realigned to a more balanced position.
Posted By: louisianaman

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/23/23 11:46 PM

Ahhh good ole libertarians. ducknbass, should we just have no laws since they will inevitably become more draconian?

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 01:54 AM

Only issues I have with guides on public lakes is, sometimes they kinda try to bully you. Much more so with duck guides than fishing guides. But they also get screwed over by run of the mill hunters a lot as well. So it goes both ways. The fishing guides get followed around like a stray bitch dog in heat. It’s terrible.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by claypool
Only issues I have with guides on public lakes is, sometimes they kinda try to bully you. Much more so with duck guides than fishing guides. But they also get screwed over by run of the mill hunters a lot as well. So it goes both ways. The fishing guides get followed around like a stray bitch dog in heat. It’s terrible.

No one makes them take that line of work. I have no pity for either. Not all of them ,but enough think they own the water or shorelines where they build their taco stand duck blinds on PUBLIC water & then bully people who want to hunt in that area. Wish they would clamp down on it.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Imagine all our lakes in N Tx with outfitters/guides lining every pocket or bank with their clients.

If you have to use fake scenarios to make a point. Your point sucked. To the back of the line you go.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by louisianaman
Ahhh good ole libertarians. ducknbass, should we just have no laws since they will inevitably become more draconian?

No I’m just against stupid laws. Not the good ones, if you can’t differentiate……. up
Posted By: Delta Duckman

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 03:59 PM

Interesting thread on the capabilities and difference of the generations of duck hunters.

In SE Louisiana hunting the Mississippi river delta with thousands of square miles of duck habitat most of it private property is leased to duck hunters here is how it has been going. Last weekend is a good example.

Our duck club (7 of us) has leases that are close to the marina, short boat rides with real nice platform blinds that are brushed up for easy hunting because we do the hard work before the season starts to have it that way. We have a boat in the marina, drive up, get in the boat, go to one if our ready to go blinds and hunt ducks. Most of the season we do real well because the ducks want to be where we are. It's not a coincidence or luck our blinds are where the ducks want to be. The ducks change their ways and when they do you have to get property leased where they want to be. It takes work and money but it is worth it.

During the season the ducks get smart and have a tendency to move out of the interior marsh into the big open water areas, where it is sort of public land, the wild wild west if you will. I happened to go to the boat launch last weekend where there was a boat picking up with three 25 to 30 year old guys who had hunted the open water area. They had 18 gadwall on the strap, impressive. They are the up and coming go getters doing the hard trips using GPS tracking devices because its not easy making 10 mile boat rides in the dark through the marsh delta. No duck blinds, just getting after it. But they do it and its not easy, the hard work pays off for them most of the time.

Happy to see the young guys in the game because they have the same desire we all have to be in this sport. And in time when we roll our of our easier hunting they will be looking to make it easier and do what we are doing now. Seems to be the way it all works.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/24/23 04:43 PM

I consider the 'stache essential gear. Something money can't buy.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/25/23 02:12 AM

No I’m just against stupid laws. Not the good ones, if you can’t differentiate……. up

Could you get on board of no waterfowl hunting past noon across the board, to include private and public land?

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/25/23 03:32 AM

Could you get on board of no waterfowl hunting past noon across the board, to include private and public land?

Not just no, but hell no

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 12:33 AM

How bout limiting hunting groups to 5 people?

Seeing far to many 20-30 people groups. Even saw one the other day were i lost count in the 40s. Like who the hell wants to hunt with that many people. And with groups that large no one knows who shot what and you are just party limiting which is suppose to be against the law.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 01:34 AM

Seeing far to many 20-30 people groups. Even saw one the other day were i lost count in the 40s. Like who the hell wants to hunt with that many people. And with groups that large no one knows who shot what and you are just party limiting which is suppose to be against the law.

Not on private. If you want to hunt in that circus that is your choice. Several state & federal refuges already have that rule. I'm good with it.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR

Not on private. If you want to hunt in that circus that is your choice. Several state & federal refuges already have that rule. I'm good with it.

Are you saying 20 to 30 different hunting groups? Or 20-30 people in 1 group?

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 04:50 PM

20-30 people in 1 hunting group should be a no go in my opinion.

Can you imagine the circus these hunts must be. Social media is full of this crap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 05:21 PM

I think they are just joining the groups for pics. Ive hunted geese numerous times out West, and Cranes. Ive never hunted in a group with more than 8.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/26/23 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
I think they are just joining the groups for pics. Ive hunted geese numerous times out West, and Cranes. Ive never hunted in a group with more than 8.

There are some guides down here in SE Tx that routinely hunt over 10 guys on a duck shoot. Can't see how anyone would enjoy that.
Posted By: Delta Duckman

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/27/23 02:52 PM

A friend of mine who does not hunt much went to Arkansas two weeks ago for a duck and goose hunt. He told me when they showed up for the hunt there was 22 guys hunting together with one guide. I would have walked out, ridiculous.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/27/23 04:05 PM

So no guides on public snd big brother telling us how many we can hunt with. Wins the internet. up

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/27/23 05:21 PM

Some of you folks were on the tit till you started puberty and it shows.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/27/23 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Imagine all our lakes in N Tx with outfitters/guides lining every pocket or bank with their clients.

If you have to use fake scenarios to make a point. Your point sucked. To the back of the line you go.

Yes an extreme example, but who here saw the pressure to come before duck dynasty? I bet you raise your hand.

If don't understand the point I was making, which you did, but don't want to admit because you're anti law, get your a$$ to the back of the line.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/28/23 03:15 AM

Some of you folks were on the tit till you started puberty and it shows.

Chill on the insults. It's only a discussion and it's the internet.

Back to the history lesson. So it was 2016 that Kansas banned commercial guides. A lot farther back than I remembered. I was wrong too in that It did include commercial fishing guides. It is only for state or state leased properties though and did not include federal. If anyone ever did the research and follow up article it would be interesting to see how and if anything really changed. It's not just guides that act that way these days.

https://www.cjonline.com/story/spor...-hunts-fishing-public-lands/16582493007/

I did have a similar encounter to one in that article with a guide on a Lake WMA that TPWD leased from the Corps of Engineers. At the access point parking lot a guide cornered me and told us we better not be hunting where he was hunting because he had clients coming to meet him there. I asked him how I am supposed to know where he was hunting. My hunting party was starting to bow up, so I got him away from them, calmed him down and worked with him so not interfere with his operation. We worked together on future hunts too, but his approach with other hunters was a ticking time bomb. He did get into a confrontation with other hunters that season at the same location jumping on other hunters the same way he initially did with us that resulted in GW intervention. Another THF member had a confrontation with the same guide as well. I figured it out when the guide told me about it and it was posted by the THF member here at the same time. The guide gave up that members great wood duck spot to me too. Probably trying to get me to hunt there instead of "his" cove.

Re: Hunting pressure this season - 01/28/23 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by BDB

Yes an extreme example, but who here saw the pressure to come before duck dynasty? I bet you raise your hand.

If don't understand the point I was making, which you did, but don't want to admit because you're anti law, get your a$$ to the back of the line.

If the coves fill up from dam to river I don’t care if it’s guides, Barney’s or top hands. It would suck.
If that happens id hope guys started hunting together in big bunches of 100 and leaving me and my dog a spot.
roflmao

John if I lied let me know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum