Texas Hunting Forum

Whistling ducks

Posted By: topwater13

Whistling ducks - 04/23/22 08:50 PM

The wind must be exceptional if they blew up to Decatur Tx….
Excuse the pic, but it was the best I could do with my iPhone at a distance.

Dead branch….further up.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guy

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/23/22 09:07 PM

Cool, I did a "spot the critter" thread with it on the TFF, so if you read it here, don't cheat and say something over there...

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14350789/spot-the-critter#Post14350789
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 01:20 AM

I saw a pair in dallas last year. There is also several on lake fork, or atleast there use to be. I dont hunt/fish that lake as much as I use to.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 03:13 AM

They are up there, but no where near the numbers they are down here!
Posted By: Blank

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 08:47 PM

Used to see a lot of them around Three Rivers and Choke canyon on the leases. Up at Uvalde on the river, they fly in and out in bunches. I wish you could get one in the Spring, when their plumage is so pretty.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 08:51 PM

They're currently in a hole in one of my oak trees. Back neighbor has a little tank. If it'll rain, they'll be all over here.

They aggravate the hell outa my blue lacy.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 10:40 PM

I must be a blue lacy.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 11:12 PM

have had them in the Cedar Creek area (Bastrop county) had not seen any lately
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 11:28 PM

Dumb as a box of rocks. They landed 40 yards away from us while we were fishing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/24/22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Dumb as a box of rocks. They landed 40 yards away from us while we were fishing.

[Linked Image]

Bird brain!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/25/22 11:59 AM

We have several every spring here on LAKE BOB SANDLIN.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/25/22 05:41 PM

I noticed these weren't skittish compared to other waterfowl.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/25/22 08:08 PM

They are everywhere here, year round. I've always heard they are good eating. Might have to shoot a couple one day.
Posted By: TheHeadTurkey

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/25/22 08:23 PM

I have about 50-75 whistling ducks (not exaggerating) that eat the corn at the feeder every evening. It is a little annoying when I'm pig hunting and the ducks eat all the corn right after the feeder goes off so by the time the pigs come out there is no corn left.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/25/22 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
They are everywhere here, year round. I've always heard they are good eating. Might have to shoot a couple one day.

You might, but I believe there is a one duck limit per day on them.

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/26/22 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by skinnerback

You might, but I believe there is a one duck limit per day on them.

They aren’t a mottled/dusky duck/Mexican-like duck, you can shoot 6 a day.
Ones I’ve eaten were good table fare.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/26/22 03:02 AM

We had a nocturnal one at our yard. Would show up about sundown and hang out under the security lights wearing the bugs out till around 2-3 am then head out. We could get with 10’-15’ of him before he would walk away….

We names him Larry…cool bird!
Posted By: Delta Duckman

Re: Whistling ducks - 04/26/22 02:49 PM

I live in a suburb of New Orleans. There is park and drainage canals near by and the Tree Ducks gather on the canal bank by the thousands different times of the year. I shot this video of what they do. You can hear them whistle as a drive by. Tree Ducks are very comfortable living in the city.

Posted By: kindall

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/01/22 09:21 PM

We always have a few that hang out at this time of year.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/02/22 01:22 AM

We have several pairs who nest on campus and at the cemetery across the road at Tarleton in Stephenville.
Posted By: snogeese

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/04/22 04:43 PM

They are literally everywhere around Houston. There,s a small lake in front of a subdivision on my way to work that holds several hundred. They utilize nearly every body of water around here no matter how small.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/04/22 10:15 PM

I have seen them in Ennis and we have lots of them on the river/tanks East of Corsicana. I was on the King Ranch last week and they follow the deer/turkeys around behind the trucks throwing corn. They sure are a cool bird.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/05/22 08:29 PM

A couple years ago we had roughly 200 showing up everyday at the stock pond.... had quite a few raise ducklings.

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/06/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3
A couple years ago we had roughly 200 showing up everyday at the stock pond.... had quite a few raise ducklings.

How many you get in duck season?
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/06/22 04:27 PM

ive got a small 1/4 acre pond out back here i had dug in 2020. in 2020 we had a pair that raised 11 outta 13 hatchlings and we watched those babys go from about the size of a golf ball to fully feathered and flying then they all left one day, in 2021 it was a repeat of a pair and 8 hatchlings raised, this year there is anywhere from a pair to upwards of 60 at any onetime back there.. the wife and i really enjoy watching them just be ducks but in my opinion they act more like geese???

i built a few nest boxes and i really think that they dang things lay eggs in each others nest!! wife looked a couple days ago in a box and says theres 23 eggs give or take in one and i been watching multiple birds go in and out of it for a few days and theres a pair that go absolutely crazy everytime another bird goes in that box.
Posted By: Hatton Ranch

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/06/22 04:43 PM

They have been showing up every summer for the past few years at our place west of Graham.
They like our big tank.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/06/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Originally Posted by TCM3

How many you get in duck season?

zero. they had all left by then... Plus i wasnt sure then if you could take them or not.
Posted By: Hef187

Re: Whistling ducks - 05/08/22 07:31 PM

We have a big group that hangs out in a neighborhood by my sons school in Humble, TX. They're always in the trees, powerlines, or on peoples roofs.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Whistling ducks - 07/07/22 09:02 AM

We used to HAMMER them at our place in SW Louisiana. We call them Squealers. Our marsh was full of them for about a decade. Large flocks of the big, dumb, slow flying ducks were easy to shoot and could make for quick limits. After a while, my cousins that live down there let most of them pass for the big greenheads, Pintail and other puddlers. Not much of a challenge. They would come to a whistle, but calling wasn't really necessary. They would light on mud flats, sand bars and trees near a food source or loafing spot. Never saw one land in water though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The are , by far, the best eating duck in the marsh. Much better than teal or wood duck, in my opinion. Surprisingly, they're not near as gamey or ducky tasting as the puddlers we kill. I didn't believe I was eating duck the first time I had them. Great table fare plucked or just breasted out. Cook them to medium rare and you'll be amazed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We still kill em out there pretty regularly, but there's not near the numbers we had in recent years. I hear that some have migrated as far north as Michigan and are showing up on the Atlantic flyway as far as North Carolina. That's kind of exciting.
Posted By: TF Panther

Re: Whistling ducks - 07/15/22 04:25 PM

And they are delicious!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum