Texas Hunting Forum

Getting Serious…

Posted By: steventtu

Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 12:04 PM

I decided it’s time to start getting serious about practicing my calling this off-season, now that I have a few seasons under my belt. I have a cheap double-reed mallard call, but want to get something a bit nicer that will last for the long haul. Any suggestions? I’m reading that a single-reed is a good long-term choice but would love to hear your thoughts.

I hunt mainly over lakes and in more open areas. Mallards, gadwall, and teal seem to be the ducks I down the most.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 12:10 PM

Calls are all personal preference. I think the biggest difference in calls that no one talks about it back pressure. I've always liked a call with plenty of back pressure. I must have an easy 20+ calls that I have picked up over the years that sit at home. They are good calls but not my favorites.

There is no easy answer to your question as everyone has their own personal preference.

Single reeds do typically have a wider range of sounds, but I have double reeds that the birds typically respond to nicely.

I do like RNT calls, they have good customer service.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 02:00 PM

Agree its all a personal choice as there are lots of good calls. I use Echo because they are good calls but I met Rick Dunn the owner and he is genuine super nice guy and the first one to tell you to shut up and let the ducks in....when they are committed....and location is far more important than any call he can sell you. Give any good call to a person who knows how to use them and they all will sound great. Just like turkeys and elk ... WHAT you say, WHEN you say it, and HOW its said is far more important than the actual sound it makes....But being the guy who has that sound is nice to have also.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 02:46 PM

If your starting, get a good double reed mallard call, skip the cheap stufff and master it! Or buy cheap and practice!
Get a cheap multi use whistle, you probably have pintail up there and just don’t know any better, as well as wigeon!

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 11:51 PM

Thanks for the advice! I've gotten a few basics down with my cheaper call, but I definitely need to practice. I'm more concerned about quality (I'm generally a buy-it-once kind of guy), and the differences between single-reed and double-reed calls. But, it sounds like sticking with the double-reed may be my best bet.

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/16/22 11:53 PM

And I've seen a few pintail flying by—got one nice drake this season—but haven't gotten a wigeon yet!

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/17/22 01:13 AM

Maurilio #8 Pintail Whistle is my favorite pintail call. You can find the on eBay, they are made in Brazil. You will have to keep you eye out for them.

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/17/22 01:31 AM

My favorite double reed is a noname call my wife and daughter got me off etsy for fathers day. It wasn't that much, $50-$60 bucks but I really like the sound and the ducks respond really well to it.

What I'm saying is expensive calls aren't any better than an average call so don't get hung up to much thinking $150 acrylic is better than a $50 poly call.

A call i hate Is my RNT DCX, I can blow it, I can make it sound good, I can kill ducks with it. It just doesn't fit my style of calling and I have to force it to get the sounds out of it that I want.

On the other hand, my RNT Diablo is the best sounding, easiest call for me and is always on my lanyard.

There are many who would pick up the DCX and love it and hate the Diablo.

Like I said in my first post, I must have 20+ calls in the closet, some are $100+ dollar name brand calls and others are cheapo ducks unlimited calls i rcvd by becoming a member, and everything in between. They will all kill ducks, some just meet my calling style more than others.

You kinda have to develop you calling style and try a bunch of calls to figure out what matches your style.

I know this is of no help, but its the reality of the situation.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/17/22 02:22 AM

I really like my 737 chief. I've got an echo, rnt, but I go back to the 737 every time.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/17/22 06:34 AM

I think you'll find as you progress and get better you'll prefer a single reed. In my experience they are more difficult to master but once you do they sound better.

Initially you'll probably find a double reed easier to make sound right and easier to get that raspiness...

My favorite call for a while when I first started was the echo diamondwood timber double reed. Nice call, easy to blow.

My favorite now though is a custom single reed.

I became a member of this program to help me learn how to better goose call. It seems to be pretty good and might be worth a look.

https://www.badgrammaracademy.com/video-goose-duck
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Getting Serious… - 03/17/22 02:58 PM

Whatever you get. Take the reeds out before season starts.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum